The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dinner w/ SteveEdmunds...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Dinner w/ SteveEdmunds...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:00 pm

Dinner w/ Steve Edmunds (6/22/18)
Steve Edmunds invited me over to dinner and we tried:
1. Strohmeier Schilcher Frizzante aus traditionelle Flaschengarung Perlwein aus Osterreich (11%; L1604;
www.JennyAndFrancois.com; Monika Caha Slctn; Blauer Wildbacher; 30-40 yr old vines) NV
: Bit brownish/garnet
color; rather earthy/mushroomy/rustic nose w/ little fruit; very tart/acid frizzante earthy/mushroomy rather
earthy/rustic/coarse/metallic some pencilly bit funky/fusty flavor; short very acid frizzante earthy/rustic
finish; seems on the oldish side; not very attractive. $35.00 (BayGrape)
light ripe tannins; very long ripe/black cherry/boysenberry some earthy/loamy/mineral/stony finish; quite a
good example of the variety. $37.00 (BayGrape)
lingering ElD/earthy/mushroomy strong blueberry/blackberry/spicy/peppery/Syrah finish w/ modest smooth tannins;
a lovely balanced Syrah that speaks strongly of ElDorado and one that's only going to get better; very reasonably
priced for an ageable Syrah. $33.00
1. Earlier in the day, Steve had loaned me his car to drive on this trip out for NEB#8. I had not noticed that
my NM driver's license had expired and couldn't rent a car to get around. Steve suggested I pay for him
renting a car and drive his. It managed to salvage my trip out there. Whatta a guy that Steve is. But then
we already knew that.
That morning, I had made a stop at BayGrape, one of my favorite shops in the Bay area. Wound up buying a
case of interesting stuff that I couldn't live without. These two were from that stash I bought.
Dinner was simple. Some apps out on the back deck, then a carry out-pizza.
of a taste for it. With their GriebenSchmaltz, it's actually not bad.
It is typically a rose wine produced from the Blauer Wildbacher grape in Western Styria. It is released
immediately after fermentation, usually w/ a lot of CO2, oftentimes off-dry. Pretty much of an acquired taste.
This was, by far, the worst Schilcher I've had. Didn't do much for Steve, either.
4. NorthCanyon: This is a newly named Syrah for Steve from two of the vnyds he's used in the past. Like most of
his Syrahs, the emphasis is on the balance. It's not a dramatic/in-your-face expression of Syrah but those
who wait will be rewarded w/ something very special.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Dinner w/ SteveEdmunds...(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:39 pm

Regarding the ESJ North Canyon Road Syrah, I would say “should have bought a case”, but I did!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:29 am

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:51 am

Whoops. Didn’t notice until later that Tom’s note was the 2015. I have the 2013 North Canyon Road Syrah.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:27 am

Nice notes
Have to get the '17 Rose
I bought a case of the 13 Syrah as well