The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mugnier, ESJ, PYCM, Leitz and more

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Mugnier, ESJ, PYCM, Leitz and more

by Dale Williams » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:26 pm

No wine Thursday (but we did enjoy “Won’t You Be My Neighbor”)

Friday was great, the heat and humidity broke. We were supposed to take dinner to a post-surgical friend, but she wasn’t up to it. So just us on the patio with Bobby Flay chicken with green sauce, duck fat potatoes, Swiss chard, and salad.

2010 Mugnier “Clos de la Marechale “Nuits-St.-Georges Blanc
Pear, a little hazelnut, citrus zest, nice length. Oak is nicely integrated, fun wine. A-/B+

2017 La Bernarde (Cotes du Provence)

Very light, strawberry and orange zest, acceptable at $10 I guess. B-/C+

Some friends came down from Beacon and we had a great night on patio

With smoked almond /blue cheese guacamole

NV Taittinger “La Francaise” Champagne Brut
This had quite a bit of cellar time when I purchased couple years ago, an older style label. Apple, yeast, and lemon. Nice example of cellared NV. B/B+

Then blistered shishitos, grilled trumpet mushrooms, Korean fried chicken, bok choy
2016 Edmunds St John “El Jaleo”
Apparently a combination of Rhone varietals and Tempranillo. Light color, fresh and crunchy red fruits, a nice herbal note. Nicely balanced with long finish, quite a success. B++

2014 Bedrock Old Vines Zinfandel
Vilely corked (but one guest seemed to enjoy) NR.

2003 Leitz Rudesheimer Klosterlay Riesling Kabinett
Who knew I had this? Discovered when looking for something else. The 2003 shows in easily Spatlese sweetness, but there is actually a pretty decent acid core- you’d never call this electric, but definitely not flabby. Sweet yellow peach, lime blossom, good finish. A light petrol note is only sign of age. Not my favorite, but better than I expected when I spied vintage. B

Sunday was scallops with chives, duck fat sous vide carrots, caprese, and leftover bok choy

2015 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey “En Creuzilly” Bourgogne Hautes-Cotes de Beaune

Full for the appellation, but really quite woody. Pear, vanilla, good acids to balance ripe fruit. If oak integrates will be nice. B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Mugnier, ESJ, PYCM, Leitz and more

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:32 pm

Fun set of wines.

I like the Mugnier Marechale Blanc, but it's awfully expensive for what it is.

That El Jaleo looks to have all the making of a classic ESJ. Looking forward to the next edition.

Leitz did really well in 2003. Yes, everything is supercharged, but it's also very good for such an odd vintage. I like to think it is because I was there for the harvest. ;)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Mugnier, ESJ, PYCM, Leitz and more

by Dale Williams » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:34 am

Luckily I found 2 bottles of the Mugnier blanc in cellar that I never entered in CT, so no idea what I paid or where I bought. :)

If I'd know you were there for harvest would have added a + :)