The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Cali Pinots and a Colorado Red

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Two Cali Pinots and a Colorado Red

by Jenise » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:11 pm

2009 Sutcliffe Vineyards Trawsfynydd McElmo Canyon Red Bordeaux Blend
Big, tasty red blend from the "sun-drenched days, cool nights" (per the back label) of Colorado's McElmo Canyon that drinks like an upper tier cab-based Sonoma red blend with some nice secondary nuances.

2013 Wind Gap Wines Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
Sneaking into middle age with complex raspberry and cherry fruit, herbs and spice. Bright and well-nuanced.

2009 Talbott Pinot Noir Logan Sleepy Hollow Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
Kudos for longevity--a $16 wine held in this long and it's not over yet! That said, the heavy oak that caused me to avoid this bottle for so many years has turned it into a dark and earthy wine that resembles syrah more than pinot noir. Not my thing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Two Cali Pinots and a Colorado Red

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:49 am

Pax is apparently phasing out his Wind Gap label. I know the money backing him is now in the federal pen, and the tasting room in Sebastopol has been rebranded "Pax Wines".
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:29 am

He's not phasing out the label. He's exiting the brand. It will still exist, but without him.

It will also exist without me as a customer.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Jenise wrote:
2009 Talbott Pinot Noir Logan Sleepy Hollow Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
Kudos for longevity--a $16 wine held in this long and it's not over yet! That said, the heavy oak that caused me to avoid this bottle for so many years has turned it into a dark and earthy wine that resembles syrah more than pinot noir. Not my thing.

Interesting. I never went for the Talbott, instead going for the Talbot Kali Hart which was generally about 40% cheaper and absolutely amazing. It was also 100% Sleepy Hollow. And although I believe Pinot Noir is an abomination when grown in Santa Lucia Highlands and hope that it is still one day banned, there is just something about Sleepy Hollow. One of my favorite vineyards in the state. In honor of this thread, I grabbed my last bottle of 2003 Kali Hart, still with its $8.99 price tag on it, and will let Laura tell me what she thinks. I'll give a sniff and maybe a small taste with a spit. This one may be long in the tooth. We shall see. I will report back.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:40 am

Jason, good to hear from you! {hug} Surprised but glad you're feeling okay enough to read and post.

I've never, that I can recall, had a Kali Hart pinot but believe I had chardonnay with that name long, long ago. I probably would have liked this Talbott if 1) it hadn't been called pinot noir and I'd had different expectations and 2) I'd had it with something strong enough to stand up to it, like ribs or a bowl of chili. It's good wine, just out of place within normal pinot noir conventions.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:03 pm

Jenise wrote:Jason, good to hear from you! {hug} Surprised but glad you're feeling okay enough to read and post.

I've never, that I can recall, had a Kali Hart pinot but believe I had chardonnay with that name long, long ago. I probably would have liked this Talbott if 1) it hadn't been called pinot noir and I'd had different expectations and 2) I'd had it with something strong enough to stand up to it, like ribs or a bowl of chili. It's good wine, just out of place within normal pinot noir conventions.

Thanks for the hug.

We'll see how this 2003 Kali Hart is. When it was young and until at least age 7 or 8, it showed nothing like syrah. Just pure pretty Pinot Noir fruit. I can't remember the last Vintage I had but it was probably 2005.

Jason
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:33 pm

Best wishes Jason!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:27 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Best wishes Jason!

Thank you my friend.

J