The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: in Nova Scotia and ME- 2 '68s, '83 Canon, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: in Nova Scotia and ME- 2 '68s, '83 Canon, etc

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:56 pm

Saturday we rose early, drove to Portland, ME where we rendezvoused with friends and got on 6 hour ferry to Yarmouth NS. Nighttime when we got to Canada, then a drive to Sandy Cove on Digby Neck where other friends were waiting. Too late to have any wine. Next day a lazy day around farmhouse, fresh mackerel with lunch, halibut with dinner.
2007 Trimbach “Cuvee Frederic Emile” Riesling
Good acids, some mineral, but this seems to be maybe shut down a bit. I liked more on release, guessing just needs time. ?

Monday excursion to French Shore, then back for sunset/whale watching and fish stew dinner, with 2001 Remi Jobard “ Le Poruzot-Dessus” Meursault 1er Cru (a 2002 Charmes from this producer was once declared hostess’s fave wine ever). No premox, pear and vanilla, on fatter side, competent. B-/B

2017 Domaine de Grand Pre Tidal Bay
White blend. Floral, touch of sweetness, a little saline. B-

Tuesday we went out on a whale watching boat (saw 7 humpbacks, including 2 calves) then back to house for steak, squash, wild rice, and the 1983 Ch. Canon. Nice showing, red fruits, sandalwood, cigarbox. A little leather. Mature, elegant, long. A-

Wednesday a lot of errands, as we (Betsy and I and family of 4 ) couldn’t be there for host/hostess’s 50th bday party Sat, we planned the dinner. 12 people (Jonathan’s aunt, cousin, and cousin’s family joined us) and we did a riff on a gala social justice dinner we all participate in annually. Zanily elaborate centerpiece, parody songs, lobster salad, scallops, rice, and more

2017 Blomidon Tidal Bay White
Floral and musky, sweet apple fruit, good acids. B

1968 Produttori del Barbaresco
Stood up a few days and decanted. Too acidic for some, but I found some pleasure and interest- red cherries, tart, tannins resolved, tar and leather. B

1968 Bodegas Riojanas Rioja Vina Albina
Hugely popular with others. Round red cherry fruit, less acid than I expected, Earl Grey and cinnamon. An elegant old lady holding on with class. B+/B

Up early Thursday to catch the ferry to Portland, we had a B&B for night, nice afternoon walking around. Then dinner at Drifter’s Wife- Sourdough with dulse butter, chicken liver crostini,
“String beans” (kind of a riff on Nicose, with tuna, tomato, pickled egg- great dressing with yellow eye peas), roast chicken with farro and spinach, coppa (not charcuterie, Japanese seasojned pork shoulder chop) with eggplant, dandelion greens, and squash. All good. Fun place, and we ran into some musician friends of Betsy.
Cool list, we didh some BTG (I neglected to note vintages):
Tripoz Cremant de Bourgogne- crisp apple and peach, lightly floral, dry and fun. B/B+
La Plata Cava Rosado- round berry fruit, pleasant. B/B-
Knauss Trollinger- bright strawberry and raspberry, herby, light. B
Cauzon Tempranillo-Sharp acids, tart berry fruit, not very long. Not a fan C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: in Nova Scotia and ME- 2 '68s, '83 Canon, etc

by Jenise » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:31 pm

I take it the two Tidal Bay wines were local?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:45 pm

Jenise wrote:I take it the two Tidal Bay wines were local?

Yes, apparently new appellation for whites made 100% of NS grown grapes.
Heard NS sparklers could be good, but descriptions of the few they had in state run liquor store sounded sweet/unappealing
I think these whites were low $20s (Canadian). US and French wines were probably 50% higher than here after conversion
Glad we csrried some wine
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Jenise wrote:I take it the two Tidal Bay wines were local?

Yes, apparently new appellation for whites made 100% of NS grown grapes.
Heard NS sparklers could be good, but descriptions of the few they had in state run liquor store sounded sweet/unappealing
I think these whites were low $20s (Canadian). US and French wines were probably 50% higher than here after conversion
Glad we csrried some wine

Do you remember what grapes were used in the Tidal Bay wines? I recall some of the better whites being primarily L'Acadie (locally popular hybrid). There is also a type of Muscat that is popular, which may explain some of the floral notes you report.