Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jenise » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:50 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:https://ottolenghi.co.uk/seared-duck-breast-with-blood-orange-and-star-anise-shop

Is the recipe I used, largely. Very tasty and looked pretty as well. The Blood oranges giving the sauce
a beautiful ruby red colour.

THANK YOU! Chiles, star anise, cumin, pepper, oranges? That sounds like perfection for duck breast. Btw, I found the picture offputting. That meat's so raw the one piece has an open vein oozing blood. YUCK.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:54 pm

I'll be doing ratatouille and pad prik gai bai krapow (Thai stir-fried chicken with chiles and holy basil) this week.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:12 am

Jenise wrote:
Barb Downunder wrote:https://ottolenghi.co.uk/seared-duck-breast-with-blood-orange-and-star-anise-shop

THANK YOU! Chiles, star anise, cumin, pepper, oranges? That sounds like perfection for duck breast. Btw, I found the picture offputting. That meat's so raw the one piece has an open vein oozing blood. YUCK.

I didn’t actually look at the picture! I was busy checking out the ingredients list, it being time to get cooking. I see your point.
We hadn’t had duck available here previously so when I saw it at my local shop o grabbed some, curiously my partner went up to the shop for something the same day and picked up some precooked Peking style breasts, hence the duck extravaganza chez nous. I’ll make sure they keep it on their shelves, although they are always happy to get things in.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:14 am

Last thing I made (a couple of nights ago) was basically a warm salad of braised shredded pork shoulder with a mix of fresh corn, poblano chilies, various spices, and cilantro. I topped it with some avocado slices and lime juice. Came out very nicely and we've been eating the leftovers ever since.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:34 pm

So last night was the dinner and a movie collab between our local independent theater and one of our town's best restaurants. This time: The Godfather. We arrived at the theater to find chef Mataio Gilles (full Sicilian Italian who took his wife's last name upon marriage) presiding over the grills in front of the theater, dressed like Don Corleone in the opening scene of the movie: black tux, red rose in his left lapel, and a stuffed cat pinned to his left arm (in the film, the Don strokes a real cat while discussing vendettas). With prosecco, they served a tiny dish of spaghetti and meatballs, a canape of beef carpaccio on thin sourdough cut in the shape of a horse's head, and another of deepfried tempura sardines.

Then we repaired to the theater to see the movie. They tape off every third row so servers can get between. During the Italian wedding of the sister, we had lasagna and wedding cookies, in a later scene where the principals were gathered around a table of Chinese take out cartons, we were served beef & broccoli. Halfway thru the film the movie was halted for intermission, during which we went back to the lobby for an Italian wedding buffet of roasted vegetables, polenta, and chicken cacciatore (which had just been featured in a scene). Then we left the tables and were handed glasses of vin santo with a slice of delicious biscotti to take back into the theater with us. After the movie? Canoli, of course.

Great time, and a great film which I haven't seen since it was first released. It sure stood up to time. It's a flawless period piece that, if it were made again today, would be THAT movie, word for word, scene for scene. It lacked nothing and deserves it's place as one of the best American movies of all time.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:44 am

Jenise wrote:So last night was the dinner and a movie collab between our local independent theater and one of our town's best restaurants. This time: The Godfather. We arrived at the theater to find chef Mataio Gilles (full Sicilian Italian who took his wife's last name upon marriage) presiding over the grills in front of the theater, dressed like Don Corleone in the opening scene of the movie: black tux, red rose in his left lapel, and a stuffed cat pinned to his left arm (in the film's opening scene, the Don thus dressed strokes a real cat while discussing vendettas). With prosecco, they served a tiny dish of spaghetti and meatballs, a canape of beef carpaccio on thin sourdough cut in the shape of a horse's head, and another of deepfried tempura sardines (as in "sleep with the fishes").

Then we repaired to the theater to see the movie. They tape off every third row so servers can get between. During the Italian wedding of the sister, we had lasagna and wedding cookies, in a later scene where the principals were gathered around a table of Chinese take out cartons, we were served a little boat of beef & broccoli. Halfway thru the film after the marriage of Michael and Appolonia, the movie was halted for an intermezzo during which we returned to the lobby for an Italian wedding buffet of roasted vegetables, polenta, and chicken cacciatore (which had just been featured in a scene). Then we left the tables and were handed glasses of vin santo with a slice of delicious biscotti to take back into the theater with us. After the movie? Canoli, of course.

Great time, and a great film which I haven't seen since it was first released. It sure stood up to time. It's a flawless period piece that, if it were made again today, would be THAT movie, word for word, scene for scene. It lacked nothing and deserves it's place as one of the best American movies of all time.

Jenise that sounds great! It has given me pause for thoughts. We could maybe do this on a smaller scale at our hall for a fund raiser. A bit different, we could do it for a premium price (in ,local, terms)
There would be other movies one could consider. If any thoughts come to mind please share.

I love it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:09 am

Barb, it's a blast. Mataio and his wife are real film buffs, so doing these movie-dinner nights is just about the most fun he can possibly have as a chef. In fact, he said, when he pitched this series to the theater owners back when, The Godfather was his first choice but everyone else said, "Maybe we should work our way up to that." This is maybe the 20th he's done: off the top of my head others have included Mostly Martha, Tortilla Soup, Eat Drink Man Woman and Chef. Coming up next is Gosford Park.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:20 pm

Tonight's dinner will be the latest recipe posted at the Mala Project website: stir-fried beef with Pixian dobanjiang.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:55 am

Tonight its fried chicken with a salsa channeling Keith Floyd, sautéed shallots, garlic red and green capsicum, sweet corn kernels, flambé with rum, a little stock and cream, some diced tomatoes and spring onion. Some jalapeños to give it a kick.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:06 am

Barb Downunder wrote:Tonight its fried chicken with a salsa channeling Keith Floyd, sautéed shallots, garlic red and green capsicum, sweet corn kernels, flambé with rum, a little stock and cream, some diced tomatoes and spring onion. Some jalapeños to give it a kick.

My god, I loved Keith Floyd! That salsa sounds pretty good too :D
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:12 am

Tom NJ wrote:
Barb Downunder wrote:Tonight its fried chicken with a salsa channeling Keith Floyd, sautéed shallots, garlic red and green capsicum, sweet corn kernels, flambé with rum, a little stock and cream, some diced tomatoes and spring onion. Some jalapeños to give it a kick.

My god, I loved Keith Floyd! That salsa sounds pretty good too :D

Hi Tom
Yeah, Keith was an early player in the celeb chef game and the TV shows were great fun, cooking on the fly with the tide coming in, constantly put on the spot by David Pritchard who also produces Rick Stein.
The salsa he devised for southern fried chicken in Floyd’s American Pie.
We taped all the shows and have continued to upgrade them to the latest technologies so we can still watch them. Sad but true :shock:
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:19 am

Barb Downunder wrote:We taped all the shows and have continued to upgrade them to the latest technologies so we can still watch them.

*gasp*

WHEN CAN I COME VISIT?!
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:42 am

Tom NJ wrote:
Barb Downunder wrote:WHEN CAN I COME VISIT?!

Any time Tom LOL
In the meantime A sampler re the. salsa.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AGpQped-bDw
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:31 am

Barb Downunder wrote:In the meantime A sampler re the. salsa.

My god - I've been to the Peabody! I'VE SEEN THE RUNNING OF THE DUCKS!! To think I was once in the same place as Keith Floyd....

That was a hoot Barb, thanks! And that corn dish looked wonderful, although soupier than I expected. Did you use hot peppers like he mentioned he would have preferred, or did you stay with bell peppers?

Thanks for the link - talk about bringing back memories! :D
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:43 am

Tom NJ wrote:
Barb Downunder wrote:In the meantime A sampler re the. salsa.

My god - I've been to the Peabody! I'VE SEEN THE RUNNING OF THE DUCKS!! To think I was once in the same place as Keith Floyd....

That was a hoot Barb, thanks! And that corn dish looked wonderful, although soupier than I expected. Did you use hot peppers like he mentioned he would have preferred, or did you stay with bell peppers?

Thanks for the link - talk about bringing back memories! :D

Wow, the Peabody and the ducks just made me smile all over again.
I used bell peppers and some jalapeños.
Glad you enjoyed the memories.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:23 am

Barb Downunder wrote:Wow, the Peabody and the ducks just made me smile all over again.
I used bell peppers and some jalapeños.
Glad you enjoyed the memories.

Very, very much. Thank you :D
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Dinner last night was grilled chicken wings, using a Sichuan-style basting sauce based on Pixian doubanjiang (fermented chile and broad bean paste). The recipe is on the Mala Project website (https://blog.themalamarket.com/cooking-with-pixian-doubanjiang-sichuan-sauce-for-grilling-roasting/). Delicious!

-Palu W.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:25 pm

Dinner tonight will be "ants climbing a tree".

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:30 am

Asparagus season and got to the farm for just picked.
Asparagus and prawn risotto, looked good, tasted great. Just a classic risotto prep adding
The asparagus and prawns (blanched in the stock) at the end with a handful of greens peas as well.
With the remainder, the next night I did grilled asparagus with a poached egg and a vinaigrette made with pumpkinseed oil and tomato water. Sprinkled with crisp fried pepitas
With a side dish of bruschetta with tomato and fresh mozz.
I’d be happy to do both these dishes again this season. And I probably have to go by the farm again soon.
I love spring.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:48 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:With the remainder, the next night I did grilled asparagus with a poached egg and a vinaigrette made with pumpkinseed oil and tomato water. Sprinkled with crisp fried pepitas.

Sounds wonderful!

Cookery has been quiet in my kitchen... away for three weeks on holiday in Rome, since then a little charcoal grilling, pasta with shrimp and pesto, and a big pot of coq au vin.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:46 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Barb Downunder wrote:away for three weeks on holiday in Rome, since then a little charcoal grilling, pasta with shrimp and pesto, and a big pot of coq au vin.

Any thing to report on your food experiences in Roma? You must have had some good nosh.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:24 am

Paul Winalski wrote:Dinner tonight will be "ants climbing a tree".

-Paul W.

What's that?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:31 am

Last night was my first evening cooking at home in a long while and I really looked forward to it. First thing I had to do was test whether or not adding a lot of dill to a dish (in this case, chicken thighs cooked in fiduelitos) would cancel out the flavor of overt American oak in an accompanying wine, an idea born while tasting at La Rioja Alta. The only other seasoning was sliced garlic. The wine selected for the test was a 2001 Pesquera. The result? No, it highlighted it. But it was worth trying, and the Pesquera was delightful.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:24 pm

"Ants climbing a tree" is a bit of stir-fried ground pork, Sichuan doubanjiang (chili bean paste), soy sauce, and soaked mung bean thread noodles cooked in stock until the noodles absorb nearly all of the stock. When you pick up the transparent bean thread noodles with chopsticks, bits of the pork cling to them like ants climbing a tree.

-Paul W.
PreviousNext