The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: This and that and then some...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: This and that and then some...

by Mark S » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:03 pm

Pian dell 'Orino, Rosso di Montalcino, 2013
Last tried a bottle a year ago and showing more complete. Cherry and black cherry, with a little alcohol poking through on the finish, but not overtly so. Tannins have smoothed and this is in a very good place right now. 2-4 more years? A- 14.5%

Lionel Faury, Saint Joseph, 2015
Deeply colored. Plum scents with salinity, very soft fruit, almost lush, medium-to-low acidity but strong tannic push on the finish. Despite being soft, lush, and ripe, I'm betting this will age beautifully but seems like one to drink earlier. To 2024? 13% B+

Sandhi, Chardonnay, Santa Barbara County, 2014
Gooseberry and light mineral scents, with the gooseberry showing up again on the palate along with unripe kiwi fruit. Has a thinness to the finish which is not attractive, like something missing. Perhaps picked unripe? B/B+

Mauro Sebaste, Barolo, 'Prapo', 2004
Not much of a nose and somewhat neutral in flavor, one can tell it is nebbiolo without looking but nothing stands out either. Generic. B/B+

Adega e Cooperativa Agricola du Ilha Graciosa, Graciosa, Pedras Brancas, 2015
13.5% Everyone needs an oxidative-styled Azorean wine to drink...sometime. This has strong saline cut and green almond with a tight calcium finish. Almost like a fino sherry. Better with a chill on it, and grows on you, but really needs the right food to shine. B+

Mount Mary Vineyard, Pinot Noir, Yarra Valley, 2011
Roses and fragrant musky strawberries on the nose. The tannins are but a whisper at this stage, leaving a pure expression of unadulterated pinot noir. Really beautiful! A-

Quinta da Pellada, Dao, 'Carrocel', 2011
Reticent nose of mulled plum and musk. Soft and pillowy, sour cherry juice, and a floral finish. Moderate acidity cuts through the deceptively lithe structure, beautiful now and for another 8-10 years. 13% Mostly touriga nacional. A-

Chateau Moulin Saint Georges, Saint Emilion, 2000
Blackberries, licorice, and blackcurrant leaf. Still a little stern on the end, despite the sweet, smooth ripeness this exhibits. In a beautiful place right now and unsure what further aging can bring. A-/B+
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: This and that and then some...

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Nice but Dao and I never understand each other
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: This and that and then some...

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:10 am

Mark S wrote:Sandhi, Chardonnay, Santa Barbara County, 2014
Gooseberry and light mineral scents, with the gooseberry showing up again on the palate along with unripe kiwi fruit. Has a thinness to the finish which is not attractive, like something missing. Perhaps picked unripe? B/B+

That pretty much sums up my thoughts about the Parr/Moorman wineries (Sandhi, Domaine de la Cote, etc.). I am all in for the "new California" style, but in my opinion they take it a step too far.
Decisions are made by those who show up