Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The booming market for full-fat and plant milks

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The booming market for full-fat and plant milks

by Jenise » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Some stats from a recent TIME magazine article:

* Skim milk sales have plummeted, while whole fat now accounts for 38% of the market compared with 29% five years ago.
* Whole fat yoghurt sles increased 25% in 2017 over 2016.
* Almond, soy and coconut milk are among the fastest growing beverage classes as more Americans switch to a plant-based diet, and sales are up 61% since 2012.

I visited a local dairy a few months ago and lower overall milk sales have made a real dent in the local dairy market. This particular dairy, however, has one product line in particular, however, that's keeping them afloat: Indian yoghurt and cheese. It's growing at about the same rate that milk is losing market share, and they ship scads of it up and down the west coast.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: The booming market for full-fat and plant milks

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:34 pm

Interesting. I love full-fat Brown Cow organic yogurt, one of the few yogurts I've met that actually tastes as good on its own as it does mixed in with other things. I decided a long time ago that I'd rather enjoy the quality of full-fat dairy in moderation than eat a lot of the skimmed-down alternatives, and it seems to work for me, health-wise.

As for plant milks, I quit drinking milk as a beverage, dairy or otherwise, sometime back when I was a baby. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:42 pm

Robin Garr wrote:As for plant milks, I quit drinking milk as a beverage, dairy or otherwise, sometime back when I was a baby. :mrgreen:
Ditto. I was four.

Not a fan of yoghurt, but your POV is what the article states. Also that there's been some recognition that full-fat dairy includes a lot more nutrients than non-fat. More Vit K, calcium, magnesium and protein, and some research suggests these products may help regulate blood sugar and insulin.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:43 am

Good. Maybe things are moving in the right direction. It always makes me cringe when I go to the yogurt section of a supermarket and see endless low-fat/skim options and sometimes no actual full fat yogurt. Also ridiculous when all the yogurt options are flavored with sugary crap and there is no actual full-fat plain yogurt (i.e. real yogurt) in the yogurt section!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:08 pm

I never understood the trend toward reduced fat milk and milk products. I am accustomed to eating low-fat yogurt (almost daily breakfast), but I only cook with full fat yogurt and now and again treat myself to Ellenos Real Greek yogurt on occasion (made here in Seattle), which is like eating old fashioned hand-cranked ice cream.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:26 am

"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:47 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:40 pm

Well, they squeezed that joke for all it's worth. Udderly over the top.