The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 8 vintages of La Conseillante at Bobby Van's

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 8 vintages of La Conseillante at Bobby Van's

by Dale Williams » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:44 am

Monday was a La Conseillante dinner at Bobby Van’s in midtown East. I was last one there (hey, only 3 minutes late) and found a nice group waiting.

Also waiting was the NV Benoit Lahaye “Naturessence” Champagne. I liked at first- on drier side, pear and apple fruit, some Parker house rolls, touch of nuttiness. But I loved later when I revisited with my crabcake (I can’t really get into meaty appetizers before a steak, nor do I want Pomerol with my crab). White fruits, gunsmoke, chalk, long. A-

On to the reds. I had a rare tomahawk, sides of fries, hash browns, and spinach

2001 Ch. La Conseillante
This was comparatively restrained tight, but clearly with a beautiful underlying structure. Revisited later in evening it had opened nicely- full and deep with redder fruits, espresso notes, long finish. Ramon brought this when I couldn’t find my lone bottle, I really hope I find it (in 10+ years). A-/B+

2000 Ch. La Conseillante
Much more open, red plums and framboise, ripe but not hot, some earth and mushrooms with time. Drinking well already. B+

1999 Ch. La Conseillante
Forward, almost slutty, sweet black cherry, ready to go, fun but with less backbone than other vintages. B

1998 Ch. La Conseillante
Tightest wine of the night, but with enormous potential. Black cherry and raspberry, smoke, floral notes, but mostly wrapped up tight. Firm but integrated acids and tannn. Should be very long lived. B+ for now

1995 Ch. La Conseillante
Red fruits, mocha, open and giving, but with plenty of structure. A-

1990 Ch. La Conseillante
Whoa, just a great showing. Ripe black fruit, balanced, elegant. Rich fruit accented with cigarbox and truffle. A-/A

1989 Ch. La Conseillante
Structured, cassis and earth, herby, really good. A-

1982 Ch. La Conseillante

Not as fresh as the 89/90 pair, but nice mature Pomerol with black plum fruit and cocoa.
B+

No wine that I wouldn’t happily drink. Group voting for WOTN
1990 23 pts (my #1)
1989 15 pts (my #3)
1995 7 pts (my #2)
1982 2 pts
1998 1 pt

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

Re: WTN: 8 vintages of La Conseillante at Bobby Van's

by ChaimShraga » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:49 am

I'm an idiot for drinking my 2001 five, six years ago.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Re: WTN: 8 vintages of La Conseillante at Bobby Van's

by Jon Leifer » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:19 am

Great notes on great wines, Dale..the 89 La C was one of my favorites from the 1989 Boredough vintage, no experience re the other La C's except for the 82 which also was quite good several years ago.
Jon