The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Revisiting an Old Friend-and a new one!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Revisiting an Old Friend-and a new one!

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:14 pm

My friends and I were on a tasting expedition, and after finishing a nice vertical at Conn Creek, we hit up WILLIAM HARRISON just down the road on Silverado Trail. Despite the rather...TRUMPIAN note on the sign (100% American-Owned!)* these were very nice wines. Definitely on the savory, earthy side of the Bordeaux family, with balanced fruit, cassis, and earth. Only 2200 cases. They have been around for quite a while, and I enjoyed their wines a decade ago just as I was getting "into" wine. Frankly, I like their style more than Conn Creek, which tends to the extracted side of things.

* Far, far predates the Orange Menace, I might note. :mrgreen: :lol:

The tasting room manager also knew the family involved in a second winery I discovered this weekend. Desperate to escape the smoke, I took a mini-vacation to Paso and San Luis Obispo. While bicycling east of Paso Robles, I randomly stopped at Bella Luna Winery. Wow. definitely an Italian take on wine, with lithe, balanced fruit, plenty of acidity, earthy tones. Their Bordeaux blend was a great take on blending, and clocked in at 12.9% alcohol!!!!! They also had a fine Arneis and a very nice and earthy Sangiovese. Quite lovely place, too.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Revisiting an Old Friend-and a new one!

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:03 pm

Thanks Brian - will have to look at Bella Luna.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:55 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:... (100% American-Owned!).

Rather silly to note this, as most wineries are American-owned, with notable exceptions. Is Ridge still owned by the Japanese pharmaceutical company? Forge Cellars is 2/3rd owned by foreigners. Tablas Creek is French. I'm sure there are quite a few others, but overall probably 85-90% are 'American'. (And, of course, the grapes are 100% American grown on American soil!)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:43 am

Mark - you fail to understand the silliness of our times. I have no doubt that sign turns away nobody, and attracts more than a few who would just pass by.
Decisions are made by those who show up