Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tuna Club 2018

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Tuna Club 2018

by Jenise » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:39 pm

So it turns out Tuna Club was created 18 years ago when a local fisherman named Jeremy (a fine wine-loving Brit transplant) decided to gather people together to can some tuna from a particularly plentiful catch. The group has gotten larger over the years as people are invited in to help with larger and larger quanities of fish. This year we canned 3600 lbs.

Volunteers sign up for shifts based on tasks. The day before Thanksgiving, they cut all the fish into two inch steaks with a bandsaw and pile them into coolers. The day after, the process of washing, cutting, trimming, jar-packing and cooking commences. Each participant gets to buy a case and Sustainable Bellingham gets the rest for charitable purposes.

It's gruelling work. Standing in one place hunched over a cutting board handling frozen fish with frozen hands isn't all that easy. Bob and I did two shifts each, and left exhausted. But happy--with two cases of tuna.

Jo Ann--Jeremy's doing a small version of this in Seattle this weekend--400 lbs. Contact the local Slow Food group for information.

TunaClub1.jpg

TunaClub4.jpg

TunaClub5.jpg

TunaClub3.jpg

TunaClub2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Tuna Club 2018

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:15 pm

Pretty amazing.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:13 am

That's really something!
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:45 pm

Opened our first jar yesterday. DAMN! SO good. And as always with oil-packed tuna, I strained off the oil into a jar that is a perpetually-evolving Caesar-ish salad dressing. No anchovies needed.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:08 pm

Nice! Cool activity.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:41 pm

I totally missed this, Jenise. Will follow the slow food network to see if it comes up next year.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:39 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I totally missed this, Jenise. Will follow the slow food network to see if it comes up next year.

And now that I understand the ropes and am an official member and friend of the fisherman, I can probably invite you up to join in next year up here if you like. Saturday volunteers, as I was, worked my shift (actually, I worked two) and got to take my fresh, warm jars of tuna home with me that day.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:26 am

Jenise wrote:I would really appreciate that, Jenise. I also don’t mind volunteering, if another pair of hands would be helpful.

Apparently it's T-day weekend each year, so put that on your calendar. I'll forward the signup sheet to you when I get it--and you would have to volunteer to qualify for tuna. I was surprised that working two shifts didn't net me two cases, but oh well. Some of the shifts are as little as two hours. We worked five, a 2 and a 3, just because it seemed silly to show up for less than half a day. But anyway, that's how it works.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon