The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Midweek 3 - Rebholz, Chevillon, Charvin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Midweek 3 - Rebholz, Chevillon, Charvin

by Rahsaan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:11 am

Midweek dinner with Nathan and John S and everything showed well, especially the human participants!

At first my 2012 Rebholz Ganzhorn Im Sonnenschein Riesling GG was pleasantly golden and mineral but a bit unformed in the mouth for my tastes. I found it much more appealing after several hours of air when it found its inner spine and was a lovely golden mineral salty streak of wine. Very happy to have more.

Nathan offered his 2008 Chevillon NSG Les Cailles with the preface that it was the grenache of Burgundy and thereby a good match with our third wine. However, this bottle was all about the pretty pinot bubble of resolved red fruits and the charming Burgundy fragrance. Very easy to enjoy.

1998 Charvin Châteauneuf-du-Pape was not my usual fare, perhaps years since I've last tasted a CdP. The comparative depth and alcohol were very apparent next to the 08 Les Cailles, but thankfully there was also that lovely restraint, perhaps somewhat acquired with age, perhaps somewhat always apparent. It's not my core joy but it was very fun and I was happy to drink it.

Good times!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Midweek 3 - Rebholz, Chevillon, Charvin

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:08 pm

Nice selections.

I was away from Chevillon for a bit in 2008, but that sounds delicious. I have a few 2007 bottles that probably merit a look see.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Midweek 3 - Rebholz, Chevillon, Charvin

by Dale Williams » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:48 pm

Thanks. I have a couple of '08 Cailles but plan on holding longer, but if its drinking well I should get busy with NSG and Pruliers

I also don't drink much CdP, but like Charvin more than average.