Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Thinking out loud about Neighborhood Christmas dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Thinking out loud about Neighborhood Christmas dinner

by Jenise » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:03 pm

Here's the menu as of this moment:

citrus arancini, Prosecco
mushroom bruschetta, Prosecco
Cold soup amouse bouche parmesan-zucchini
Antipasto platter, maybe two whites
Individual lobster lasagnas, _______
Lamb shank osso bucco, amarone and brunello
biscotti, vin santo

I have a ripasso I purchased for this meal a year ago. It's surprisingly light bodied, but tasty. I'm thinking about putting it with the lasagna which will have a sauce made from tomato, cream, gin and herbs, along with an Italian rose. Not common to serve a red with seafood, but in this case I think it will work. Unfortunately I don't have an extra bottle with which to test this theory. Thoughts?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Thinking out loud about Neighborhood Christmas dinner

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:17 am

Jenise wrote:Cold soup amuse bouche parmesan-zucchini

Yes, yes, yes! The last time I was in France I was served a little glass of creme de courgette that was topped with a dollop of tomato confit and a little piece of smoked salmon. A wonderful combo that I remember well.

biscotti, vin santo

Ya gotta serve pignoli cookies if you're going to keep to the same high level as lobster and amarone...

I have a ripasso I purchased for this meal a year ago. It's surprisingly light bodied, but tasty. I'm thinking about putting it with the lasagna which will have a sauce made from tomato, cream, gin and herbs, along with an Italian rose. Not common to serve a red with seafood, but in this case I think it will work. Unfortunately I don't have an extra bottle with which to test this theory. Thoughts?

Dicey. I learned the hard way about tannins and seafood. I agree you have confounds in there... cream and a whack of gin... but a ripasso will also have high alcohol. Really needs testing first.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:34 pm

Jeff, appreciate your comments.

Re the lobster rav, the gin really disappears into the sauce, it just adds structure and a hint of mystery more than anything else. I know re testing--but I don't have an extra bottle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Thoughts?

Have one or more likely suspect whites chilled, and yank the red if it clashes.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:24 pm

Jim, perfect solution if a small dinner party at home. But I have to buy and serve a bottle each to ten tables, two wines per course and we already own the ripasso. Too much invested not to put it somewhere!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:57 pm

Update: trial batch last night of the lobster ravioli with Shallot Gin cream sauce. Served with a rose and a light fruity ripasso. Killer!!! It worked--we couldn't decide which pairing we liked better.