The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

February Wine Focus: Back to basics with Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

February Wine Focus: Back to basics with Bordeaux

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:27 am

Whoa, February already? Tomorrow is Groundhog day, and whether fill sees his shadow or not, we’re halfway to spring.

You’ll recall that this year’s Wine Focus program is taking us back to basics, each month exploring basic, reasonably available wine types based on grape or appellation. Last month we did a classic grape, Pinot Noir. For February, we turn to a top appellation, Bordeaux.

It’s only a 28-day month, so we’d better hustle. Whether we go with the broadest generic, AOC Bordeaux, turn to regional divisions like Haut Medoc or Côtes de Bordeaux, or even pick up something more fancy, let’s pull cork on all manner of Bordeaux this month, and bring ‘em back here to talk about.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Re: February Wine Focus: Back to basics with Bordeaux

by Jim Grow » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:26 pm

I guess my patience ran out today. I have been holding this 2000 Calon-Segur since probably 2002, bought on futures. I realize that RMP gave it 94 pts. and stressed extreme patience with maturity noted as from 2012-2040 but HEY... this is 2019 so..... but this St.-Estephe Bordeaux was still not ready for prime time. I gave it 8 hrs. of decant in a wide-mouthed decanter but....but. A very black wine with a bit of ruby at the edge, the nose was all about spicy plum and some herb (sage) with the palate still somewhat closed, showing the same notes but with astringency on the finish. This wine is at least 10 years from maturity, maybe twice that. My wife loved it after giving it some added whisking. My other 2 bottles I need to donate to some wine auction or give to some young someday-to-be wine lover. abv of 13% but probably more than that. I have had the 2000 Pichon Baron and 2000 Clos St. Martin in the last few years and both were fabulous and near ready.......just saying......took one for the team
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:54 am

Bordeaux often elicits yawns in wine-lovers. A contributor on this site many years ago once described the region as “Bored-owe”, which encapsulates two emotions often associated with it. Dare I suggest that both are misplaced?

First, two out of three of my most sublime wine experiences in 5 years since I have been using CT came from Bordeaux, namely Pichon-Longueville Comtesse 1966 and Léoville-Poyferré 1982.

Second, Bordeaux wine is not inevitably expensive. It contains hundreds of less well-known châteaux producing wines selling below €10 and many even below €5. To be sure, there are a lot of poor performers in this category but experience and shopping at a good wine merchant who chooses his/her wines with skill increases substantially the chance of finding an enjoyable and good QPR one.

I concentrate in this post on a wine in the affordable category, namely Domaine de Courteillac, a Bordeaux Supérieur. The estate is located at Ruch close to the eastern extremity of the Bordeaux wine region and the wine made from Merlot 70%, CabSauv 20% and CabFranc 10%. I first came across this wine at the annual tasting of Espace Vin Pirard at Genappe near the Waterloo battlefield south of Brussels. The then owner, Dominique Méneret, was a regular visitor to present his wines, which IMO at c.€10/bottle stood out for their QPR amongst a number of other estates carefully selected by the Pirard family. I have bought many vintages from 2000 onwards and have never been disappointed. Since I have been living in France I have been pleased to find that Courteillac is stocked by the Monoprix supermarket chain, also selling at c.€10/bottle. Dominique Méneret has recently sold out to a Chinese firm but still acts as consultant.

Here are some TNs from my CT archive –

2012 Domaine de Courteillac Merlot Cabernet - France, Bordeaux, Bordeaux Supérieur (10/25/2015)
I have had many of the vintages of this estate between 2000 and 2009 and I regard the wine as a good ringer for lesser St.Émilion grand cru at an affordable price of c.€10. So I did not hesitate when I saw this '12 on offer at <€9 at a Foire aux Vins. Colour was deep red. The nose was well developed with dark fruit and a touch of leather. The same aromas replayed on the medium/full bodied palate with the quite dense fruit, decent acidity and firm tannic backbone giving an overall savoury and rather dark impression. I was somewhat disconcerted towards the finish by a dry almost raw edge to the tannins which I don't recall on previous vintages and notably the '08 which was already very gracious at a similar age. I guess that more time will soften this. Good potentially.

2012 Domaine de Courteillac Merlot Cabernet - France, Bordeaux, Bordeaux Supérieur (5/19/2016)
This bottle is the best of the three purchased. I now think that the first bottle was mildly flawed as the improvement is more than I would expect from about 7 months passage of time. The nose was well developed with dark fruit and a touch of leather. The same aromas replayed on the medium/full bodied palate with the quite rich fruit prevented from cloying by fresh acidity and with now ripe tannic backbone giving an overall rich but lively impression which would not disgrace a St.Émilion GC costing at least the double. I will search for more bottles.

2014 Domaine de Courteillac Merlot Cabernet - France, Bordeaux, Bordeaux Supérieur (3/6/2018)
Since 2000, I have enjoyed many vintages of this wine made in the eastern part of the Entre-Deux-Mers area from Merlot 70%, Cabernet Franc 10% and Cabernet Sauvignon. It is a reliably good ringer for a lesser Saint-Émilion GC and represents remarkable QPR at <€10. This bottle of 2014, like the 2012 at a similar age, is not yet firing on all cylinders but is already good. It is medium bodied with bright berry fruit, some depth, fresh acidity and tannic backbone but not so rich, integrated and velvety as it will hopefully become in a year or so.

2014 Domaine de Courteillac Merlot Cabernet - France, Bordeaux, Bordeaux Supérieur (10/26/2018)
This is already deeper and better integrated than the bottle a few months ago. More backbone I think than 2012 and it should give pleasure over the next 5 years at least. Good.

And here are some earlier TNs taken from the WLDG archive –

Sept 17, 2012

Domaine de Courteillac Bordeaux Supérieur 2009 – Dominique Méneret - Alc.13.5% - (c.€10). I buy this excellent St.Émilion ringer nearly every vintage. When I first tasted this at a local wine merchant it seemed richer but also flabbier than in most vintages. However, this bottle opened with dinner showed that the rich and quite complex fruit was complemented by enough mouth-watering acidity and structure for good balance with food; well up to standard 15.5/20++ QPR.

Aug 26, 2011

Bordeaux Supérieur 2005 – Domaine de Courteillac, Dominique Meneret – Alc.14% - (c.€10), made from Merlot 70%, CS and CF. This 2005 is a touch closer to jamminess and is more concentrated and structured than the 2008, which is drinking beautifully right now. I think it needs a bit more age to come into its own; 15.5/20 now.

Jan 28, 2011

Domaine de Courteillac Bordeaux Supérieur 2008 – Dominique Meneret, Ruch– Alc.13.5%- (€10), from Merlot 70%, CabFranc 10%, CabSauv 20%. This 2008 is remarkably forward in its third year and fresher than the richer 2006 was about a year ago. Quite full bodied, round and juicy with a velvety feel smooth/lively acidity, good grip, decent tannic structure and avoiding the jamminess which is the besetting sin of a lot of “modern” right bank Bordeaux; 15.5/20+++QPR!

May 16, 2010

Domaine de Courteillac Bordeaux Supérieur 2006 – Dominique Meneret, Ruch – Alc.13.5%- (€10), from Merlot 70%, CabFranc 10%, CabSauv 20%. I think that this 2006 is drinking better at present than the more closed, structured and oaky 2005. Quite full bodied, rich and juicy without being jammy with a velvety feel, good grip and decent tannic structure; 16/20 QPR!!

Oct 26, 2009

This is a dependable estate, 70% Merlot, 20% CabSauv, 10% Cab franc, punching well above the weight of its price point and appellation. I had a disagreement on vocabulary with owner Dominique Meneret who objected when I described the 2007 as more angular and less round than the 2006; I discovered that where I say “round” (rond) he prefers “dense” and “angular” (anguleux) implies for him tannins with which 2006 more endowed albeit riper and better covered. I persist with my vocabulary.
Bordeaux Supérieur 2007 (€10) showed more acid edge to its aromas that usual and slimmer body but the fruit is expressive, acidity good and tannic structure present though lighter and more angular than the next; 14.5/20++.
Bordeaux Supérieur 2006 (€10) was rounder, richer and denser with fine fruit opening up and well covered tannic structure; 15.5/20++ QPR!

May 25, 2009

Bordeaux Supérieur 2004 – Domaine de Courteillac – Alc. 13% - is a dependable stand-by for its Merlot dominated blend well up to the standard of many lesser Saint-Emilion grands crus. This was slightly less rich and complex than the 2000 and 2003 but fresher and more lively with a charcoal touch; 15.5/20++ QPR.

Oct 19, 2008

Domaine de Courteillac – Bordeaux Supérieur – Dominique Meneret à Ruch – is a favourite of mine with its 70% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% Cabernet franc; a few months ago I thought that its 2000 was a good ringer for a Saint-Emilion costing 2-3 times as much. This 2006 (€ 10) bids fair to be just as good with its complex and rich aromas, in which I found some Pinot-like cherry, its deeply caressing fruit and good grip and structure; 16/20.

From Sept 9, 2008

Domaine de Courteillac AOC Bordeaux Supérieur (red) is an old friend but 2003 is now showing signs of premature evolution with fading rose aromas towards the finish on a full palate; 14.5/20.

From Jan 7, 2008

Bordeaux Supérieur AOC 2000 - Domaine de Courteillac – 33350 Ruch – Alc. 13%. – (approx € 10).

There are 25 hectares of red vines at this estate, of which 70% Merlot, 19% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Cabernet franc.

C: Deep, dense, youthful red.
N: Clearly bordelais and quite complex showing deep red fruit with an acid touch and hints of cedary spice.
P: Robust, round, ripe and structured showing good darkish fruit, a touch of jam offset by brightly fresh acidity with similar aromas to the nose, good mouth-fill and fair length. This wine would easily hold its head high in a line-up of Saint-Emilion, Pomerol, Côtes de Castillon and Fronsac costing twice to three times as much. I guess that it will maintain this quality for a good few more years but, alas, I have no bottles left; 15.5/20+++.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:03 am

Thanks, Tim! A spectacular start to the month. I have a good, affordable Cru Bourgeois lined up ... hoping for good things.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:05 am

Here are a couple of Bordeaux which I have drunk in the past week. The Verdignan was bought for €12 and the Simard for €15,50; both discounted prices at a local supermarket. It’s my guess that Courteillac 2005 would comfortably “beat” Simard 2005 side by side.

2004 Château Verdignan - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (1/29/2019)
This was a charming but quite a small left banker both on the nose, which was very discreet but fragrant and complex, and on the medium- bodied palate, which was quite soft and round but which showed delightful mature fruit and gentle but mouth-watering minerals and acidity. The problem was that in its discretion it had problems standing up to tasty Angus steak with garlic laced maître d'hôtel butter. The more structured 2005 would have had no difficulty here. Good+ though.

2005 Château Simard - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion (1/27/2019)
This is a nice mature, restrained and harmonious right banker. Medium bodied showing rather dark complexioned berry fruit, some depth, an earthy touch, smooth texture and fresh well integrated acidity leading to a decently long finish with still firm but ripe tannic backbone. Perhaps slightly too dry and short in charm for “very good” but good+ and I have since bought a couple more bottles.
Posted from CellarTracker
Tim York
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Tour St Bonnet 2012

by Peter May » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:06 pm

Bordeaux red i.e. Claret was my first love and Bordeaux was the first wine region I visited, in the days before wine tourism was popular so we got in - although I didn't know it - some top wineries.

Over the years my tastes went south with syrah blends and to the new world but I alway had some claret to hand and used to buy a cse of Batailley en primeur annually till the kids took all the money. But we came back some time ago and it's rare we don't have a week without claret.

When I ask Jo what she wants with the roast dinner on Sunday night 98% of the time she'll reply "a decent claret".

Currently I have 38 in stock and 72 en primeur (either in storage in UK or still to come from winery).

Last night we had

Chateau Tour St Bonnet 2012

Medoc 'Cru Bourgeois'

Bonnet is a wine I've been drinking since my earliest interest in wine. One day one a day trip with Jo and her parents before we married, we stopped a a once grand but falledn on hard times hotel. Wine list was bound in leather and I was asked to choose the wine. IOne wine was listed as Chatear La Tour. The name rang a bell and for a famous wine it was a very good price, When the wine came the label showed La Tour in big letters with the picture of a tower and in small letters the words St Bonnet.

I realised this was n't the wine I thought it was, but it was enjoyable and I was praised for my choice.

Anyway, some years later first growth Latour threatened lawyers and so the 'La' was dropped and St Bonnet increased to the same size.

When I visited Bordeaux in 2011 with a personalised tour I asked to visit St Bonnet, and tasted the 2010 from tank. It was excellent and I ordered 2 cases en primeur when I got home. Their vineyards slope down to the Gironde. The tower was variously a defence againt pirates and invaders, a customs outpost collecting taxes from shipping and latterly a dove cote.

Anyway, 2012 was drinking well just now, its at its apex and I don't think its worth keeping longer. Classic claret, lean fruit, ideal food wine.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:50 am

This wasn't planned, but just a lucky surprise at my tasting group. 1995 has been looking a lot better lately.

1995 Château Clinet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (2/7/2019)
Served blind in the middle of a lineup of much younger wines, this was clearly "different." Bricking at the edge made it clear there was some age on the wine. Leather, dried flowers and damp earth smells accented lingering black fruit. A smooth, almost resolved palate entry gave way to some lingering tannins in the middle, making it clear that there's still some room for this to develop. The fruit and savory notes merged very well, making for a cohesive, friendly flavor profile. Only medium weight overall, the finish was slightly clipped, indicating that further decanting would have been helpful. The wine had been decanted 2 hours prior to tasting, but by the end when we could re-taste before the reveal the finish had begun to flesh out. Plenty of time in hand for this wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:34 pm

After our regular monthly tasting the host usually pull out some extra bottles and last night one was a claret.

It was Pauillac, Ulysse. 2010

This is sold on a 'nudge nudge' finger to the side of the nose and one eye closed basis as a wine 'declassified' from a famous name 1st growth Pauillac estate that must remain anonymous, but the word after Chateau is said to start with 'La' and end with 'ur'.

I must admit I've been dubious about a wine that those responsible for it don't want their name on the label, but this was a cracker. A really seamless Pauillac, no rough edges, no tough tannins but smooth as silk with soft sweet fruit.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:55 pm

Peter May wrote: A really seamless Pauillac, no rough edges, no tough tannins but smooth as silk with soft sweet fruit.

Not much about that description screams Pauillac to me.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:41 pm

2014 Château Bolaire Bordeaux Supérieur Red Bordeaux Blend
Brought to dinner last night by a friend, apparently a $15 Costco purchase. And a good one--classic Medoc flavors, balanced and ready. Tastes like more $$.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:40 pm

2000 Château Fombrauge - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (2/10/2019)
The last bottle I had (2 years ago) was all wood, and zero wine. Oddly enough this bottle is lots of wine and a little wood. Dark cassis and plum fruit is supplemented with hints of spice, vanilla and cedar. There is still a good bit of tannin, but it’s not dominating the fruit. This is a surprising comeback for a modern right bank value wine. I have two left, and will get to them when I get to them.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:43 am

I'm pleased to read that David had a good 1995 Château Clinet experience, but that is a right-banker. I have been less lucky recently with a couple of famous left-bankers though I previously thought that they were becoming very good.

1995 Château Rauzan-Ségla - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (1/12/2019)
My first two bottles of this, though I rated them very good, did not really live up to my expectations of elegance and charm from a 2nd GCC in Margaux and from a vintage touted at the time of purchase as excellent. This third bottle was perhaps the least expressive of those so far opened. The colour was still a quite pristine red and the nose promised a virile fragrance which the palate did not really confirm. There was medium++ body still with quite a lot of savoury complexioned but slightly sour plum infused fruit, a rather dull mid-palate in spite of some minerals and tangy acidity and a rather dry tannic backbone. It was nevertheless enjoyable with a rare rumsteak and like all decent claret continued to reveal new subtlety as the bottle emptied. I make a mental note to decant next time without being convinced that it will make a big difference. Only good.

1995 Château Pontet-Canet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (2/10/2019)
I liked and rated very good bottles opened in 2013 and 2017 but this one was disappointingly closed aromatically. The nose was very low key though some right scents of leafy red fruit, cedar and leather were faintly perceptible. On the medium+ bodied palate, however, there were almost no aromatics though there was decent depth, suave texture and fresh acidity. Perhaps because of aromatic absence, the typical 1995 dry tannins were quite evident on the finish. If this bottle were 10 years old, I would say wait because there are no signs of coming decay, but in its 24th year are we looking at irreversible fading, a new dumb phase or bottle variation? I have two bottles left and fear the first but will hold back on further consumption in the hope of the second or third. Just about good.
Posted from CellarTracker
Tim York
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:11 am

2014 Le petit Haut Lafite, the second label from Smith Haut Lafite; opened and splash decanted 8 hrs. before. still kinda tightly wound with some plum fruit and a bit of herb in the background. after wisking, my wife liked it more than me. will set aside my remaining 3 for a few years.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Chateau Blaignan 2015 Médoc Cru Bourgeois ($20.99)

This Bordeaux blend of 49 percent Cabernet Sauvignon and 51 percent Merlot is a dark reddish-purple color in the glass, shading to a garnet edge. Good, typical Bordeaux aromas, blackcurrant and a hint of cedar, leading into a firm, acidic black-fruit flavor with good acidity, distinct but palatable tannins and typical alcohol level at 13 percent. U.S. importer: Aquitaine Wine USA LLC, Berkeley, Calif. (Feb. 7, 2019)

FOOD MATCH: The winery suggests pairing it with pasta, barbecue, or any chicken, pork, or beef dishes ... a juicy steak or a rack of lamb. That’s easy, and the red meat matches i particular are a natural with red Bordeaux. We wanted the challenge of a working meatless match, though, and found it with the umami-rich flavors built into a bowl of not-too-spicy Mexican-style borracho beans.

WHEN TO DRINK: Cru Bourgeois does not rank by any means as a wine for long-term cellaring or auction value, but this wine’s good balance of fruit, acidity and tannins suggests that a few years under good cellar conditions (55F/13C) might see it evolve into something more complex.

VALUE:
My local price is within reasonable reach of Wine-Searcher.com's $19 average retail; it’s a fine introduction into quality affordable Bordeaux in this range.

WEB LINK
I couldn't find a fact sheet for this vintage on the importer's website. Here's a detailed fact sheet on the 2014.

FIND THIS WINE ONLINE:
Locate vendors and check prices for Chateau Blaignan 2015 Médoc Cru Bourgeois on Wine-Searcher.com.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:53 am

Sounds like a nice, little wine. There are so many of the "lesser" (as in unclassified) wines that it is impossible to keep track. It also seems like each market has completely different selections.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:51 am

I've quite often seen Blaignan in Belgium and France and have enjoyed sturdy bottles of it from time to time. Wine Searcher tells me that a couple of supermarkets are offering the 2014 for <€9 and the Leclerc chain proposes magnums of 2009 for €26. I'd be particularly tempted by the latter if I have ever had enough company for a magnum nowadays.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:26 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Sounds like a nice, little wine. There are so many of the "lesser" (as in unclassified) wines that it is impossible to keep track. It also seems like each market has completely different selections.

Yeah, I tend to look at the importer for guidance in the quest for QPR. I've had good luck over the years with Bordeaux from Aquitaine Wine.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:15 pm

Am I the first to post in this thread on white Bordeaux? The sweeties from Sauternes and Barsac are some of the best in the world but there are also oceans of mainly dry whites made from a cocktail of Sémillon and Sauvignon blanc. When I first came into wine, Graves was a cliché for mediocre semi-sweetish table wines of mainly mediocre quality but fortunately that style seems to have disappeared in favour of dry, if not bone dry, wines. Some of these, mainly from Pessac-Léognan, are very prestigious and expensive, like Haut-Brion, La Mission Haut-Brion, Domaine de Chevalier and Pape-Clément. A few years ago I tasted some young examples of the last and did not like them because of heavy oaking as well as high prices. Here is a much more modest example but for me much more enjoyable.

2014 Château de Cruzeau - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (2/2/2019)
I liked this bottle better than the previous about 18 months ago. Then it was extremely appealing at first with its lively fruit, mostly grapefruit and pineapple, its minerals, underlying gras, juicy acidity and slightly smoky finish. However, like most wine from 100% SB, it seemed increasingly simplistic and tiring as the bottle progressed. On this present bottle similar flavour descriptors still apply but there was now more maturity and complexity and the wine was more rewarding. Like with most Pessac-Léognan there was an oak patina but unlike most of its more prestigious neighbours it was very discreet. Good wine and great QPR for the region at c.€11.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:19 pm

I finished off my last bottle of 1989 Pontet-Canet the other day. Fully mature and still going strong. Double Larry.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:47 pm

2001 Pichon Baron tonite with London broil; everything I was hoping for. Very black color with slight ruby at edge, the nose and palate were same, lots of sweet and sour cherry and deep sage (herbal) note with tannins in decline but still present. lots of sediment. RMP said to consume by 2016 but lots of life left for this wine for 8-10 more years. Almost picked a Pichon 2000 but glad I resisted as they are much more massive and will age forever, unfortunately I will not!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:51 pm

2001 PB will be a lovely wine from now until a very long time from now.

I am hands off the 2000 as well. I have fond memories of the 2000 Pichon Baron when I first tasted it in fall of 2003. It blew me and everyone else away. Six months later it had shut down hard.
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:01 am

re: 2001 PB

I last had this in June 2017 and I thought it was good but not quite ready. I have the drinking window from 2020-2035. I think it has the guts and fruit and structure for that. One of the better wines of the vintage. Parker constantly revises his drinking windows as BDX mature, I never rely on him.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:56 am

2003 Château Fontenil - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Fronsac (2/24/2019)
While this was clearly marked by the vintage, with its roasted plum fruit, it was not out of balance or heavy. It was a bit slick, but that's not surprising given the producer, yet quite drinkable. I don't see it turning into some aged, complex gem, so drinking soon is advised. Overall a pleasing wine though.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:52 pm

2010 Château de Marsan Cadillac Côtes de Bordeaux
What an amazing $13 Bord Sup. Cassis fruit with loamy forest and mushroom notes. A bit of secondary leather's starting to show, too. Great finish. At peak now though should hold in good cellars for a few years.

2004 Château Clerc Milon Pauillac
Nice fruit in the first glass but second glass quite parched. And there are no secondary, maturing flavors like one hopes for in a 15 year old Bdx. Quite drinkable, but disappointing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Next