The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Die Saar

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Die Saar

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:22 pm

2017 Stefan Müller Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Spätlese
Newish young producer, my first exposure, and this bottle is absolutely lovely. Someone to follow. Juicy and ripe but with zesty lively texture and clear crystal structure. Manages to be full and ripe but also light, brisk, crunchy and in the Saar. May I have some more, please.

2018 Stefan Müller Niedermenninger Sonnenberg Riesling Kabinett Alte Reben
Harder to read this. A lovely suave feel which is deep ripe and polished but still lively and fresh. Falkenstein with more presence. However, the combination of the heatwave year and the very young age make this hard and slightly heavy in the middle, and probably not showing the full harmonious (or glorious) potential. After 24 hours there is a lot more clarity and evidence to support the promise, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

2013 von Hövel Oberemmeler Hütte Riesling Kabinett
Back to an older classic name (although I suppose generational shifts mean the wines are shifting and becoming 'new' here as well). This bottle was probably in an inbetween phase where it may not be showing its best. Still, the combination of aging mellowing golden fruit and crunchy fresh structure made it a lovely drop of drink and a wonderful meal accompaniment. Even if it did not show any of the fireworks of the two Müller bottles.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Die Saar

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:07 pm

Oh no, another Müller. ;)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:49 am

Yes, they keep coming! I don't think there is any relation, but Stefan Müller is certainly receiving plenty of his own hype and positive press for a young winemaker (imported to US by David Bowler). Thankfully, prices are still quite low!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:04 am

Brings to mind something in the latest Wine Spectator (free with my airline status), where they reviewed some Mosel wines from a producer they identified as “Haart.”

Which one?!
Decisions are made by those who show up