Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Red Wine Vinegar CRISIS!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Red Wine Vinegar CRISIS!!!

by John F » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:29 am

So we spent Christmas break in St Barth's (which was beautiful by the way) and it is a very French island. We did a lot of our own cooking and at the store I very absentmindedly grabbed a bottle of red wine vinegar for salads. Turns out it was a Maille (of the mustard fame) product and OMG....it was not just a little bit better than other red wine vinegars I have had....it was like 10X better. I brought the remainder home with me and we are almost finished with it (half liter bottle). I have searched the web for it and can't find it anywhere except for Amazon where it costs $100 for a half liter bottle....and looks like the seller is in Japan so not sure it can be shipped to the US.

If anyone knows how I can find this it would be much appreciated dated (get some for yourself too!).....and otherwise.....do you have a red wine vinegar you. prize above all others?
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Red Wine Vinegar CRISIS!!!

by Peter May » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:10 am

You don't show your location but if you're near Canada seems they have it there

http://www.maille.ca/en/products/vinega ... negar.html
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:17 am

Peter: I found that page, too. Alas, I think it is just a product description. When you visit the Maille online shop you are redirected to the US store which does not carry it.

John: You've really picked a tough item to find! I see it for sale at Walmart Canada
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/maille-red ... 0137251990
And I see it for sale at Monoprix, the famous French department store
https://www.monoprix.fr/courses/vinaigr ... e-163658-p

And that was all I could find!

For what it's worth, people rave about Fallot mustard and they also make a red wine vinegar. But I use cheapie vinegar - Heinz.

Good luck!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:19 pm

John,

I knew I had a treasured link in here somewhere and I found it: French Feast.
https://www.frenchfeast.com/index.htm

These people bring French pantry staples -- good, better, and best -- to the US for the expat community. But you can buy from them just as well. They don't have Maille but they have several other wine vinegars.

Good luck.

Jeff
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:22 pm

Thanks Jeff for that link.
I got a gift this year of red wine vinegar from Ridge Vineyards, fun to try.
Most of my red wine vinegar consumption is of my "home brew." Anyone else keep a vinegar crock?
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:42 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Peter: I found that page, too. Alas, I think it is just a product description. When you visit the Maille online shop you are redirected to the US store which does not carry it

I saw that but came to a different conclusion, in that its available in Canada but not in the US online shop
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:53 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Peter: I found that page, too. Alas, I think it is just a product description. When you visit the Maille online shop you are redirected to the US store which does not carry it.

John: You've really picked a tough item to find! I see it for sale at Walmart Canada
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/maille-red ... 0137251990
And I see it for sale at Monoprix, the famous French department store
https://www.monoprix.fr/courses/vinaigr ... e-163658-p

And that was all I could find!

For what it's worth, people rave about Fallot mustard and they also make a red wine vinegar. But I use cheapie vinegar - Heinz.

Good luck!

this was a really cool link...thanks for posting!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:14 pm

John, PM me your address and I will gift to you a bottle of my own homemade vinegar. I had such an epiphany once with a three year old zinfandel vinegar I bought at a winery in Sonoma. Was unable to stand commercially made vinegars ever after. Mine are made from mixed vintages of various red wines, then bottled and cellared for a minimum of three or four years. In fact I think I'm using 2013's. The result is fruity and harmonious, and the contents probably average 10 years old--aging vinegar is like aging good wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:18 pm

Went by Walmart today and they did have this vinegar in stock. Otherwise seems hard to find up here.

Jenise - looks like we need a vinegar tasting.
no avatar
User

kasey.dubler

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Salt Lake City, UT

by kasey.dubler » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:52 pm

Jenise, years ago you gave me a bottle of your vinegar, sadly it's all used up now, but I remember it being delicious! I need to come back for a visit...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:22 pm

Want more, Kasey? I'm not consuming it at nearly the rate I've been making it, would be happy to send you a re-supply. God knows when I'll make it to SLC.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:10 pm

Dang! How do I get in on the Great Vinegar Giveaway? :)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:58 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Dang! How do I get in on the Great Vinegar Giveaway? :)

Not Jenise, but next time we are going to same offline remind me and I'll bring a bottle of my vinegar. If you like it, it's live and could be used to start your own (you don't actually need separate mother if you have live).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:28 pm

kasey.dubler wrote:Jenise, years ago you gave me a bottle of your vinegar, sadly it's all used up now, but I remember it being delicious! I need to come back for a visit...

Come back in a few months! Our friend Gabriel C. of the short-lived Southern Rhone restaurant we went to together is opening a new meat-driven, supper-clubby place in the Ham later this summer. The vibe is going to be sexy, elegant and the cooking methods rustic. There will be "famous guest chefs" and salon-like dinners at big communal tables involving "luminaries from every walk of life." He has a successful and excellent BBQ place in Lynden (oh why Lynden?).
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:Dang! How do I get in on the Great Vinegar Giveaway? :)

Not Jenise, but next time we are going to same offline remind me and I'll bring a bottle of my vinegar. If you like it, it's live and could be used to start your own (you don't actually need separate mother if you have live).

Thanks, Dale!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Jeff, my darling, would be happy to send you some vinnie. :)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:51 pm

Hey Jenise - have your berbere spice for you - expect a best doro wat recipe once you go all Marcus Samuelson with it.