The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Italian wine names for $200, Alex

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Italian wine names for $200, Alex

by Jenise » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:17 pm

2008 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Ovello Nebbiolo
So when I wandered into the cellar to choose something Italian to pair with a pork chop and mushrooms in marsala wine reduction) last night, I decided what the heck live large and opened the first of my '08 Produttori's. Chose this one because it was the only one not personally signed by Aldo. Decanted to breathe it just an hour before dinner. Not all the time needed but enough, it showed elegant and fine with red cherries, red currants, a dash of tar, dried rose petals and an interesting textural zip of peach skin. Best days are ahead, of course.

2011 Signorello Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
Opened this on the Fourth. I continue to be impressed by most the 2011's I bought when everyone else was shunning the vintage. Here, excellent evolution since last bottle one year ago: a lot less primary and entering peak zone.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Italian wine names for $200, Alex

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:04 pm

Lots of folks are dipping into their 2008 Produttoris. I've seen positive notes elsewhere on the Rabaja and the Pora in recent days.

I have a massive stash of 2007 to get through (slowly), as well as some 2009 (those 2009s are very fast maturing...drink up) before I touch the more structured 2008s.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:46 am

If I had a stash I'd wait on the 08's too. I don't. Was just in one of those 'caution to the wind' moods and wanted to open something that mattered.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:43 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:... (those 2009s are very fast maturing...drink up) before I touch the more structured 2008s.

Have you experienced this across Piedmont? I've had some 09 Barolo that is definitely accessible.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Thanks for notes. I'm surprised to see only '08 PdB I have are a few Muncagota, sounds like I should hold but not panic if I change my mind (also known as forgetting)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:05 pm

Mark S wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:... (those 2009s are very fast maturing...drink up) before I touch the more structured 2008s.

Have you experienced this across Piedmont? I've had some 09 Barolo that is definitely accessible.

2009 Cappellano is very accessible.
Decisions are made by those who show up