The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Larding the larder

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Larding the larder

by Mark S » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:41 pm

Selbach-Oster, Zeltinger Schlossberg, 'Schmitt', 2010
No pradikat level, but this is really a fine auslese in disguise. Pineapple and gentian nose with a whiff of euculypt. Spicy botrytis and smokey roasted pineapple and kumquat. Zingy acidity keeps it all balanced. Superb. A/A- 8%

Travaglini, Gattinara, 'Tre Vigne', 2009
You could drink this now, you could drink this later, like the candy package says. Old school Italian liqueurish taste with red fruits and a rose-smelling nose. Tannins grip on the backside, but no harm in opening as it feels a little simple. B+/B

Brookenwood, Semillon, Hunter Valley, 2011
Grass and limes, fresh and acidic, just what every summer 'barbie' needs. A steal at $12.99. B+

Didier Fornerol, Cote du Nuits Villages, 2016
A new producer I've been following the past several years. Quite smooth already without the structure of the 2015 but just as lovely, with plums and black raspberry. Nice balance on a lighter frame, and quite fresh tasting. A-

Honorio Rubio, Rioja, 'Lias Finas', 2014
Despite the beautiful packaging (which made me want to like it more than I did), this rosado is merely 'okay'. There's straw and orange-skin, salinity and chalk, but it tastes a little hot despite the stated 13.5% alcohol. Terrible match with hamburger, better with Iberico ham. A bit one-dimensional. B+ [Viura 30%/Garnancha 70%]

Foradori, Teroldego, Vignetti delle Dolomiti IGT, 'Sgarzon', 2010
Soft dark plum compote with blackberry mush and blueberry...rather plain and simple. Waste of a heavy bottle on a boring wine, and somewhat expensive between $30-40. Probably would have been better earlier, but with the few examples of aged teroldego I've had over the years, not convinced this is a variety that performs well with age. B/B+ 13%

Giuseppe Mascarello, Barolo, 'Monprivato', 2005
Pale, light color. A little stern upon opening, but reveals red cherry candy along with strawberry and candied orange flower petals. Fairly light, which I assume is vintage related, but still possesses grippy tannins in the back. B+/A-

FX Pichler, Gruner Veltliner-smaragd, Loibner Berg, 2005
A pretty sunflower yellow color! Nose of seeds and nuts, perhaps flax? Savory with a piquant finish, green peppercorns and quince skins. Interesting, with enough acidity to keep fresh. 13.5% A-
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Larding the larder

by Dale Williams » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:32 pm

Thanks for notes
I don't have 2010, but should revisit 09 SO Schmitt soon
The Didier Fornerol sounds great, know anything more about producer? Where are they based?
Even in a light vintage I think I'd wait 20 for a Monprivato. More likely to open early in a superripe vintage for me
Good stuff, thanks
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:32 pm

A data point: I owned a pair of Foradori Teroldego in the past and opened one right away (huge mistake) and the other about 15 years later. It had evolved quite nicely and had the stuffing for another decade.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:08 pm

The 2009 Travaglini, Gattinara was one of the greatest reds I have ever opened.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:51 am

Dale Williams wrote:The Didier Fornerol sounds great, know anything more about producer? Where are they based?

Not sure exactly, but he is in the Haut Cotes du Nuit. No 1er crus or anything on the Golden Slope, but they are so fresh and pure, who cares? Whites nearly as good as the reds.

Dale Williams wrote:Even in a light vintage I think I'd wait 20 for a Monprivato. More likely to open early in a superripe vintage for me

Maybe, but I had a few bottles of this and wanted to try it. Many, if not most, 05's that I've had have shown well and I've never thought of Monprivato as a monolithic wine, but of course, I like nebbiolo at all stages of the age curve :P