The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Potluck at Ed`s.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Potluck at Ed`s.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:51 am

Ed Fung is owner of a winestore downtown and we have been allies for close to 30yrs. Nice new condo, 16th floor, amazing plant collection. Ten close friends were invited and all enjoyed a great social evening with excellent food and wine.

Baron-Fuente Grand Reserve Brut Champagne (magnum) served with Eds famous Jamaican jerk chicken wings. Beet salad with lemon chick peas and feta parsley went well with a 2018 Hirt Gebhardt Rauenthaler Steinmacher Spatburgunder Rose Feinherb...which opened up nicely in the glass.

Hawaiian Chicken and maple bacon carrots was a great match for the 2005 Karlsmuehle Lorenzhofer Mauerchen Riesling Kab, QPR at $25 Cdn. Pale yellow, yeasty, pineapple, pear, nice balance.

The 2014 Fioretti Amarone della Valpolicella was a good match with navy beans, ground beef and bacon. Full bodied, currants, black cherries, tar, nice spice. Next up was braised short ribs in San Marzano tomatoes, onions and garlic sauce. Wine was the 2012 Nugan Estate Cab Sauv, Aust...dark fruit, cassis, spice, smooth tannic grip.

I prepared a pork and butternut squash stew (thanks Dale). Very well received by all it seemed! Wine was the 2015 Chateau Canteloup, Medoc. WOTN for sure and $26 on the shelf. Nice place, blackcurrant on nose. Hint of black pepper, fine tannins and second wine of Ch La Gorie.
I brought along the 2009 Ch de Roulerie Coteaux du Layon..in a perfect spot with the apple rhubarb crumble. Also a 2016 Orange River Cellars Straw Wine SA..way too young imo.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Potluck at Ed`s.

by Tim York » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:10 am

It sounds a great occasion, Bob, with good food and varied fine wines. I hope you had someone to drive you home. :D
Tim York