The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: ESJ, Saves, Beychevelle, Barolos, and more

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: ESJ, Saves, Beychevelle, Barolos, and more

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:27 am

Friday I went to pick up some Flannery’s at a friend's, while there he proffered the 2010 Ch. Beychevelle. Surprisingly forward and open, cassis and black cherry, a light smoky note, great finish, well balanced. A-

That night I had leftovers and the 2017 Lapierre Morgon, Sweet red fruit, spice and earth, some noticable but not interfering structure. B/B+

With pizza with roast tomaties, goat ricotta, and basil, the 2017 Edmunds St John Heart of Gold. Pear and citrus, good acids, crisp and fresh. B+

I was making beef in Barolo for a Sunday, used another bottle of Bolmida as well as most of a 2014 Cavalotto Nebbiolo (Langhe). Pretty tannic, light cherry fruit, floral. B once you get past the tannin.

An old friend who moved to Asheville NC was visiting, and I was midpoint of group of friends (between NYC and Beacon). As everyone arrived I greeted with charcuterie (pastourma, lonza, and finocchiona) and smoked trout with horseradish goat ricotta.

NV Camille Saves Rose Champagne
Lovely, strawberry and white cherry, a little toast, long finish. A-/B+

Brun FRV100
Sweet and fun, obviously not complex like the Saves, but nice contrast. B

With a scallop crudo amuse
2010 Carillon “Champs-Gain” Puligny-Montrachet 1er
Rich pear fruit with hazelnut, enough acidity to keep lively, good length. B+/A-

A little misunderstanding led to beef being a bit dry (if was in warming drawer, not in sauce, but for 1.5 hours instead of 40 minutes) but good, with John’s excellent squash risotto and Rachel’s Brussels sprouts with croutons and blue cheese.

1996 Andrea Oberto Vigneto Rocche Barolo
Lighter styled, red fruit with violets and spice, not much grip left, but tasty. B

1998 Luigi Pira Barolo

Watch the modernista Barolo crash and burn! A bit volatile, cherry and prune, no overt oak but hard tannins still. C+

Salad and Sarah’s coconut cake to finish, good night with old friends, just sorry Betsy was in Maine.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: ESJ, Saves, Beychevelle, Barolos, and more

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:40 pm

Feel the Brun!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Great notes as always, Dale.

Cavallotto made no Barolo in 2014, so their Langhe Nebbiolo was in effect their base Barolo in that vintage, which explains why it's chewy. I agree with you that it's less good for current drinking than usual. If you have more I would put it away for a few years, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. (I import Cavallotto for my markets.)
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:08 am

Aha, thanks Oliver. I probably knew that when I bought (probably why I bought, ringing a bell now) but had forgotten. Will move remaining bottles from drink now case.