Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fondue

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Fondue

by Jenise » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:22 pm

Would you believe I've never made a fondue?

Would you believe I've never even eaten fondue?

I have not avoided it, there's nothing in a traditional cheese fondue I wouldn't absolutely love. It just hasn't shown up at the same parties I've been at.

Nor have I troubled myself to make one, in spite of owning three fondue pots. Yeah, three, though all are very recent acquisitions. Two 50ish year old ones were foisted on me by a well-meaning neighbor convinced I would put them to good use, both pretty cool--one's copper--and this only a few years ago, and then about four months back I bought an electric Cuisinart model second hand but virtually unused for just $15. Today all that virginity was going to come to an end, though I'm sick so will have to postpone the event a few days.

The classic Swiss Alpine style fondue recipe includes kirsch, an ingredient I don't happen to have on hand nor care to invest in for just one teaspoon or so of flavor. Was considering an addition of Contrieu in it's place. Or even a shot of Bourbon.

Thoughts? Recommended variations (including cheeses)?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Fondue

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:46 pm

Fondue is a lovely thing! I'll admit to never having made one but that is because there are a plethora of fondue restaurants in NYC. I've even had fondue in Switzerland!

Honestly, I'd skip the booze completely. I never thought the kirsch was important and your other suggested flavors are not cheese-friendly in my opinion. White wine, on the other hand, will go nicely.

Some ideas, perhaps: https://taureaunyc.com/#menu
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:43 pm

Jeff, loved seeing that menu, thanks. What I planned to make is approximately this one:

"Pyrénées
Mixed Swiss based with white wine, garlic and nutmeg... My first one, introduced in Paris in 1986"

The recipe from Food & Wine includes all that PLUS a tablespoon of kirsch which they insist is traditional. The cup of white wine in addition is a given in most fondue recipes. I had no idea that there was such a thing as a fondue restaurant. Meats, too! Nonexistent in the places I've lived, though Vancouver is European enough and might have something like that. Must check into it.

I now remember going to someone's home long long ago where they served a fondue pot of boiling oil. Each diner received a beautifully trimmed and cooked artichoke, hollowed out and filled with a remoulade kind of sauce, plus large raw shrimp. We boiled the shrimp in the fondue pot, and used the dipping sauce for both the seafood and the artichokes themselves which we slowly dismantled over the course of the meal. It was a very showy kind of dinner, and qualifies as a fondue I now realize.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:26 am

Jenise wrote:Nonexistent in the places I've lived, though Vancouver is European enough and might have something like that. Must check into it.

Google gave me several in response to "fondue restaurant Vancouver".
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:06 am

I remember the fondue! Yum. I really like the kirsch, maybe you could buy a miniature bottle.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:29 am

Unfortunately, here in the U.S. mini bottles are essentially made for airlines and alcoholics who buy (or, desperately, steal) one a day or whenever they can as maintenance, at least per a hilarious liquor store manager when I asked "who buys these?" I'm guessing kirsch isn't the drink of choice for either situation. :)