The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Let`s hear it for Tempranillo!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Let`s hear it for Tempranillo!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:42 am

Think I have a nice selection in the cellar but will look out for some more this year. Here is a very informative write up from HRH JR!

https://www.jancisrobinson.com/learn/gr ... empranillo.

Are forumites keen to be temped this year?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Let`s hear it for Tempranillo!

by Tim York » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:06 pm

I'm surprised that a person as expert as Jancis R seems to denigrate somewhat old style Rioja. In particular there are a couple of very dubious statements -

For a long time Tempranillo was ignored by the outside world as a slightly rustic northern Spanish grape of strictly local appeal.

And-

Until the 1990s most red rioja tasted more of oak than grapes.

The best Rioja has never been rustic. Dale's very recent thread Rioja 1942- 1996 at Noreetuh testifies to that and he mentions obtrusive oak only with one or two. It can be countered that these are exceptional wines of an age sufficient for integration. However, I drank a lot of 60s Rioja in visits to Spain in the 70s and there was plenty of fruit and IIRC only fairly modest oak presence on wines like Marques de Riscal crianza (then incredibly cheap and stunning QPR at c.200 Ptas = €1,20).

Furthermore, I have found a quite disconcerting oak presence on some "modern" Rioja. I remember a line-up of youngish Roda in which none, IMO, were pleasant to drink because of burgeoning oak, albeit probably French, and I have earmarked some bottles of Contino 2014 for drinking after 2022 at the earliest. Fortunately there are others which see little or no oak and are delicious young.

AFAIK I have never drunk a wine made 100% from Tempranillo.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:45 am

Tempranillo is on the Wine Focus schedule for September.

Sorry for the long wait.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:01 pm

I'm with Tim on this. We drank red Rioja over the years and didn't find it over oaky. Marques Caceres was a reliable find in a restaurant, seemed to offer more fruit and a silky mouthfeel over clarets in the same price range.

Too long since I had Caceres tho',

Re Tempranillo - I am finding it increasingly being planted in the New World with great success. Had superb Tempranillo from BC, Canada and a lovely one from Texas. I showed an Australian one at a recent tasting I had of 'Stars of Tomorrow'.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:11 pm

I adore old-school Rioja. CVNE and Muga still seem to be carrying the banner.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:16 pm

Peter May wrote:Too long since I had Caceres tho',

Had the '15 just a few weeks ago at a NYE party where a wine blogger who isn't much into European wines apologetically dumped it on the table as something to drink later when everyone's drunk. I leaped on it with delight--the other options were mostly commonplace Washington wines and the two nicer wines I'd brought were already gone. Couldn't have been happier--the '15's VERY nice.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:21 am

Peter May wrote:Re Tempranillo - I am finding it increasingly being planted in the New World with great success. Had superb Tempranillo from BC, Canada and a lovely one from Texas. I showed an Australian one at a recent tasting I had of 'Stars of Tomorrow'.

You'll find it when you visit Walla Walla, too. Two that I like a lot are Gramercy's brilliantly-named "Inigo Montoya" bottling (I believe from the Les Collines vineyard) and No Girls, a Cayuse offshoot from the Rocks. Very different, minimal oak, very enjoyable IMO.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:02 pm

Ditto, Bruce. Would also throw in a big shout-out for Pomum. Owner/winemaker is Spanish married to an American, and they've planted their own vineyards with vines/clones brought over from Spain. It's the best I've had from Washington (while admitting I've not had the Gramercy). Best PNW Tempranillo so far, though? From Idaho, of all things.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov