Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Homemade Sazón

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

RCP: Homemade Sazón

by Larry Greenly » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:33 pm

For those of you who like sazón and are participating in the Goya boycott, the WAPO posted this recipe:

1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fine sea salt
2 tablespoons ground achiote powder or sweet paprika
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Homemade Sazón

by Jenise » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:48 am

Haven't made it, but I must opine that, but for color, paprika and achiote are not all that interchangeable. This seasoning needs achiote.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:17 am

Jenise wrote:Haven't made it, but I must opine that, but for color, paprika and achiote are not all that interchangeable. This seasoning needs achiote.

You're absolutely right, but the paprika is for those who don't have a source of achiote. Big difference in color.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:35 am

I don't own powdered achiote, but I do have a small tub of paste I brought back from Costa Rica. Hey, that gives me an idea for dinner....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:04 pm

We can get the achiote up here, so I may pick some up and give that a try. What is your favourite use for it - anything in particular?

On a Canadian note, I just mixed up a bunch of Montreal steak spice - do you guys down below the border know about that? Here is a recipe

3 Tbsp granulated onion
3 Tbsp black peppercorns
3 Tbsp granulated garlic
2 Tbsp smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
3 Tbsp kosher salt
2 Tbsp chili flakes (cayenne pepper flakes or red pepper flakes also work)
3 tbsp mustard seeds
2 Tbsp coriander seeds
3 Tbsp dill seeds

I put it in the big mortar (thanks Jenise) and apply the pestle just to try and get a uniform grain size. Try it!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:23 pm

I was given a jar of Montreal Steak Seasoning once, Bill, and I recall that it reminded me of the flavor I know of as Pastrami, right down to the mustard seeds that would be something traditional to find in the crust. Like corned beef if you smother it with spice and smoke it. Really great flavor.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:27 pm

Jenise wrote:I was given a jar of Montreal Steak Seasoning once, Bill, and I recall that it reminded me of the flavor I know of as Pastrami, right down to the mustard seeds that would be something traditional to find in the crust. Like corned beef if you smother it with spice and smoke it. Really great flavor.

I like Montreal steak seasoning. I have two or three different brands of it. I even use it on other things sometimes.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:14 pm

I've never used Montreal steak seasoning in cooking, but I'm very fond of Montreal smoked meat, which is made using this spice mixture.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:36 pm

Jenise wrote:...it reminded me of the flavor I know of as Pastrami...

Bingo.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:34 pm

Inspired by the Montreal Steak Seasoning thread, I had a huge T-bone seasoned with the same and washed down with a
Motto Zinfandel. And one of my 6/$1 Olathe corn-on-the-cobs.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:00 pm

T bone sounds great.
I had a plate of garlic butter prawns with avocado and a bottle of BC Pinot Gris. On a health kick.....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:08 am

Bill Spohn wrote:T bone sounds great.
I had a plate of garlic butter prawns with avocado and a bottle of BC Pinot Gris. On a health kick.....

No carbs?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:15 pm

Never been a huge carb fan anyway - don't do desserts, and the odd bit of bread does me for carbs.

One of our fave quick dinners is a big Caesar salad (lots of anchovy and a good hit of sriracha in the dressing with added sauteed chicken pieces and token crouton or three. Another is a stir fry, usually with some pork or chicken, but mostly veg (and tofu, but SWMBO is not a fan while I am). I have to keep reminding her that spinach need not be steamed and rendered down into a sodden mess to be tasty! During this isolation she has been cooking much more, none of it for me as she seems to be specializing in cookies and sweet stuff she can give to friends.

Of course we do have carnivore Fridays when the steak hits the grille, usually accompanied by mushrooms (which while not green, and from a different kingdom, I consider honourary vegetables).

Hmm - I wonder if I could do a veg dish using all white veg? Salad of endives, white asparagus, and hakurei turnip on a bed of charred cauliflower, topped with enokis? Sorry, mind was wandering a bit there......
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:59 pm

I once had a beautiful white salad in San Francisco. There was a tendril or two of the tender inner part of a frisee, but otherwise: burrata, white truffle, endive, white asparagus and white corn (an intact slice from a cooked ear, very clever) and maybe raw mushrooms. Really fabulous, both visually and flavor-wise.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:06 pm

Hmmm - finish off with a quail egg with the yolk removed in the centre, filled with a spoon of caviar for the only pigment in the dish and that would look pretty darn good!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:51 pm

It would! And I remembered that the raw mushrooms were enoki. Beautiful things, those.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:46 pm

I remember one all-white dish quite vividly. Back in the early 70s, the Cadillac dealer across the street from my store had an inexpensive luncheonette on its second floor. Occasionally, I would drop in for the special of the day. One day: white plate, cauliflower, mashed potatoes with white gravy, white bread slice, and a chicken-fried steak smothered in white gravy. Monochromatic, indeed.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:00 am

I made a black-and-orange dinner for Halloween once. ::boo!:: I used a jack o'lantern cookie cutter on yam slices.... Found it:

ORANGE AND BLACK HALLOWE'EN DINNER

Hors d'Oeuvres

Fruit Salad, of cantaloupe, orange, black grapes, and black figs
Baked Salmon, on pumpernickel, with orange hollandaise, and salmon & lumpfish caviar

Menu

Ginger-Soy Baked Acorn Squash, with wild rice and orange peppers
Smoky Pumpkin Soup, with pumpernickel croutons
Filet Mignon, with jack o'lantern yam chips

Dessert

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie, with toasted pecans
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:54 am

Excellent, Jeff.

Although today's kids would probably be looking at a plate in shades of red and black a la goth TV shows.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:17 pm

Earlier I wrote a complete response to Jeff. It never showed up here. For those who wonder sometimes if it's just you--happens to me sometimes too.

ANYWAY what I said was: bravo Jeff! I remember that meal from your initial post about it, very impressed. Have only ever done one color-related meal, and I wasn't the host but was invited to a participatory dinner themed "black and white". Of course, everyone dressed appropriately, and I recall the host made the famous Spanish dish Moors Y Christians. Strangely can't recall what I contributed but I do remember that someone did scallops with squid ink pasta.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:18 pm

Jenise wrote:I remember that meal from your initial post about it, very impressed.

By the way, it was Halloween 1999. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:20 pm

Thank you, both! I seem to recall having more trouble shopping for it than making it but so it goes. ("Yes, I'd like yams that are rather cylindrical so I can cut a whole bunch of even slices...")
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:24 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Jenise wrote:I remember that meal from your initial post about it, very impressed.

By the way, it was Halloween 1999. :mrgreen:

Are you saying that you didn't post it on some old iteration of WLDG? If not, then I'm pretty sure you mentioned it since. The Jack O'Lantern yams really stand out and nobody else would have done them!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:37 pm

Might have come up in a thread about food in a color theme. I recall sharing that I was once asked to do a blue-and-yellow themed meal for a L.A. Rams game. I passed. :)
Next