The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Friends that cook

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Friends that cook

by Florida Jim » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:53 am

2002 Martínsancho, Rueda:
Verdejo, in the hands of Angel Rodríquez, is not your lightweight, elegant white; rather it is expansive on the nose with lots of spiciness; full-sized and strongly flavored on the palate (despite being 13% alcohol) and built to accompany food. This vintage is rounding into another excellent effort and was terrific with smoked salmon spread on crackers.

1991 Chat. Montelena, Cabernet Sauvignon:
Black-garnet in color with only the slightest hint of browning at the rim; cabernet fruit and barrel on the nose with a hint of soy sauce; focused but round in the mouth with barrel tones, some very clear cassis notes and some peppery, ripe (but not over-ripe), black fruit; medium length. Good balance; the barrel notes, although apparent, are not overblown and the wine has a clarity and presence that are pretty interesting. Has lost some tannin (substantial sediment) but still has good grip and is a bit drying on the finish.

2002 Joël Taluau, St.-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil VV:
Spectacular nose of crushed black raspberries and fresh herbs with mineral hints; remarkably concentrated on the palate with good grip, focus and complexity; a worsted texture, and a long, bursting finish with fine tannins evident. A little early to be into this one but for a worthy cause – Mark came over and volunteered to cook (a CIA trained chef in our home version of ‘Ready, Set, Cook’) and he wanted a cabernet franc; so he got a good one. Although showing young, it is not closed or disjointed; rather, it is exuberant and structured. Really, good juice.

1995 Rubino della Palazzola:
After many years of being overly tannic and out of balance, this wine has found its groove. Focused aromatics and a black fruit driven, very well balanced palate that seems to ask ‘why did you ever open a bottle before now?’ Very good and, at least on this night, more enjoyable than the Montelena. No hurry.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Friends that cook

by Jenise » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:58 am

Jim, I've got some of that Martinsancho--very surprising wine. Nothing quite like any other verdejo I've ever had prepared me for. Couldn't decide if I liked it or not, actually. But I have one or two more bottles so I guess I'll get more chances to make up my mind. Definitely, as you say, needs food.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:05 pm

Jenise wrote:Jim, I've got some of that Martinsancho--very surprising wine. Nothing quite like any other verdejo I've ever had prepared me for. Couldn't decide if I liked it or not, actually.

My wife feels the same.
She prefers it very cold; like what a refrigerator will do. I prefer it more cellar temp. But either way, I think food is the key as I really believe that it was built that way. Something spiy maybe even piquant . . .
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:29 pm

It almost had an Alsatian-gewurzlike sharpness to it, didn't it? And I'm with your wife--I opened it at cellar temp and then put it in the fridge, hoping I'd like it better in that more restrictive state. What a night and day difference it was from the Niades 03 Verdejo that had calibrated my expectations just a few weeks before. Have you had the Niades? Not cheap, $30ish, but worth every cent.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:54 pm

I have not had that one but will keep an eye out.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:13 pm

Do keep an eye out for it if you're interested in a brand new 100 year old vine verdejo that tastes like an aged Meursault. Beautiful wine. I'm kind of cheap about white wines since there are so many under $15 ones that I totally love, but I felt lucky to able to plunk down twice as much for the last three bottles my retailer had of this one.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:09 pm

for the last three bottles my retailer had of this one.

So it was you that cleaned them out? I did get a couple of bottles, no worries. I like that Naiades too, it tastes like it has some barrel aging where the Martinsancho I would guess is all tank aged. The Naiades is the most concentrated rueda I've ever tried (small sample size, though).
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:14 pm

Yup, that was me [proud look]. Very much agreed on the barrel aging, there's wood on that wine but it's all to the good. Never quite had anything like it.