Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

"I Have No Wine"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: "I Have No Wine"

by Rahsaan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:18 am

Paul Winalski wrote:I live alone, and decades ago I realized that killing an entire 750ml bottle in one evening to avoid oxidation and keeping a healthy liver were incompatible goals. I invested in a nitrogen dispensing system and I use that for all of the wine I enjoy with meals on my own...

Yes, I'm essentially the only drinker in the house and do not like the health ramifications of finishing a 750ml bottle. I only drink on Fridays and Saturdays, but even then it's a lot. However, I spit before and after dinner and it's rare to have a bottle where I absolutely *need* to finish the entire thing. For most of my wines, I've gotten the point and the added evolution is limited as I get closer to the end of the bottle.

However, I don't have Chaves and Chambertins from the 1990s sitting around my house the way you do. I can see how you would want to enjoy every last drop of those!
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:12 am

I haven't got any wine in the house that I wouldn't willingly drink, but there are some that I'd be comfortable about pouring half the bottle into the cooking and drinking the other half.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:06 pm

Old wine.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:23 pm

That's SOOOO funny.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:46 pm

by Richard L » Thu May 27, 2021 12:55 am

Deleted.
Last edited by Richard L on Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 27, 2021 5:31 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Yes, I'm essentially the only drinker in the house and do not like the health ramifications of finishing a 750ml bottle.

Quite right - but short of a nitrogen wine keeper, the Vacuvin pumps actually work quite well and the change that may happen in the wine overnight may well be a positive one. A half bottle a day isn't an outrageous intake. I'm going to quote scripture to you (St. Paul, not St. RP) 1 Timothy 523 "Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities"
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri May 28, 2021 7:52 am

Bill Spohn wrote: Quite right - but short of a nitrogen wine keeper, the Vacuvin pumps actually work quite well and the change that may happen in the wine overnight may well be a positive one. A half bottle a day isn't an outrageous intake.

True. We all have our own practices with wine, and various ways of fitting it into our lifestyles. In my case, it's not very compatible with most of my evenings, where I either work or play tennis after dinner. I've gotten the balance of Friday and Saturday evenings for other forms of relaxation, but these things can always change.
Previous