The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: An amazing Priorat

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: An amazing Priorat

by Jenise » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:06 am

2016 Herencia Del Padri Priorat Grenache Blend, Grenache
So we got home from errands, I swing thru the cellar and said what the heck let's try one of these. No more thought went into it than that. Took two glasses outside for sunset watching. Bob, tasting blind, took a few sips, contemplated, then took a few more before concluding "Whoa, you opened something pretty special, didn't you?" Didn't just like it, LOVED IT. We swooned over and over to the last drop. This is serious grenache that's totally en pointe right now with layers of concentrated plum and strawberry flavors underpinned by black pepper with a little bay leaf. Medium to full body and firing on all cylinders but plenty of stuffing for further cellaring. Honestly, this is about as good as any straight (or nearly so) grenache I've ever had. Was therefore shocked just now when I went to take it off the inventory and realized what I paid for it three years ago: $15.81. I can't wrap my head around such a bargain: drinks like $50-100, and Bob was betting it cost a lot more than that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: An amazing Priorat

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:08 am

Score!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:10 pm

Haven't come across that one, but it sounds like I would like to.

And as a fan of old style Priorats that you can't see through for 10-15 years I had to laugh when I noticed the vintage you were opening, but that is appropriate
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:59 pm

Too bad that doesn't happen more often...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:25 am

Bill, yes you would love this one. It's not 'ready' by your standards because it's not fully mature, but it should well and it's 14,000% better than the gobby mess someone brought to your last lunch.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov