The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

When in Maine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

When in Maine

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:19 pm

Drink craft beer.

I think every town has its own craft brewery.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: When in Maine

by Paul Winalski » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:34 pm

For sure. And there are some (Allagash comes to mind) that have pretty wide distribution.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:30 pm

True of Washington now too. I think Bellingham, population 100K, now has at least a dozen and another new one's about to open.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:28 pm

They are almost everywhere now, as are craft distilleries and cideries. It really is incredible how craft, beer, spirit and cider producers have sprung up everywhere you look. Perhaps it's even more surprising that the old time, global level producers have also managed to increase sales when so many small producers keep popping up.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:58 pm

There were four craft breweries and one distillery within 1/2 mile of our hotel in Freeport. Maine Beer Company was my favorite.

On the drive up Route 1 to Bar Harbor (we took the scenic route) we counted signs for 17 more.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:12 pm

John S wrote: Perhaps it's even more surprising that the old time, global level producers have also managed to increase sales when so many small producers keep popping up.

Same question we've been asking ourselves. Who's buying it all?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:13 am

Jenise wrote:
John S wrote: Perhaps it's even more surprising that the old time, global level producers have also managed to increase sales when so many small producers keep popping up.

Same question we've been asking ourselves. Who's buying it all?

Certainly not people in bars.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/25/dining/drinks/craft-beer-bars.html
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:41 pm

Just as there are wine enthusiasts, there are also beer enthusiasts--and probably a lot more of them than there are of us. Robin could probably set up a BLDG (Beer Lover's Discussion Group) here to great success. There's also been an explosion in the number of folks who brew their own beer. An outfit called IncrediBrew opened in Nashua, NH. They offered vats, tanks, and raw materials for those who wanted to make their own beer but didn't want to invest in the equipment. They were doing a booming business until the pandemic forced them to close.

I see an interesting parallel between the wine and beer worlds. In the wine world we have (at least IMO) the problem of OOFBs (Over-Oaked Fruit Bombs). The beer world (also IMO) has a similar problem of over-hopped IPAs. Oak in wine and hops in beer should (IMO) serve similar roles--as a spice, not a sauce.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:27 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I see an interesting parallel between the wine and beer worlds. In the wine world we have (at least IMO) the problem of OOFBs (Over-Oaked Fruit Bombs). The beer world (also IMO) has a similar problem of over-hopped IPAs. Oak in wine and hops in beer should (IMO) serve similar roles--as a spice, not a sauce.

-Paul W.

Of course. The sour beer trend is a similar dynamic.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:15 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Paul Winalski wrote:I see an interesting parallel between the wine and beer worlds. In the wine world we have (at least IMO) the problem of OOFBs (Over-Oaked Fruit Bombs). The beer world (also IMO) has a similar problem of over-hopped IPAs. Oak in wine and hops in beer should (IMO) serve similar roles--as a spice, not a sauce.

-Paul W.

Of course. The sour beer trend is a similar dynamic.

Ah sour beer. How can we make this smell and maybe taste like vomit!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:56 pm

My best friend from high school brewed his own beer. I remember him mentioning that sour beer was a hazard if you didn't observe proper hygiene with your brewing equipment. It smacks of sloppy brewers trying to market their mistakes. Or as we software engineers like to say, "that's not a bug, it's a feature."

-Paul W.