The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Southbound

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Southbound

by Florida Jim » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:01 am

Tomorrow I head back to FL for the birth of my first grandchild. This despite spring beginning to touch our mountains, blazing temperatures in the south and 750 miles to go. One last party seemed appropriate.

With assorted goat cheeses (4) and crostini:
1996 Domaine du Closel, Savennières Clos du Papillon Cuvée Spéciale:
Penetrating aromas of straw, quince, herb tea, citrus and gun metal – very complete; flavors echo the nose in the company of a honeycomb note in the bass register and with tremendous viscosity and cut across the palate; deep, very complex and concentrated, balanced, integrated, and, an endlessly long, mouthwatering finish.
At a decade, this wine is still youthful and vivid with some development showing mostly on the nose. But it clearly has the structure and stuffing for several more decades in the cellar. And I don’t think I have ever tasted a better Savennières.
‘Killer with the dish.

With spring pea soup (cream base):
2000 Pieropan, Soave La Rocca:
A wonderful wine that I saved a glass of for the rest of dinner; open and citrus/mineral on the nose with some light spice tones; round and viscous on the palate with flavors that follow the nose, no hint of the wood that this is aged in save for the very slight butterscotch tones on the very outside of the mouth; long, clean finish. Yummy.

With sautéed shrimp on pasta with fresh herbs:
1989 Chateau de Beaucastel, CdP:
Maybe not everyone’s first choice with the dish, but more than worth the try; open, engaging, resolved and expansive nose; very fine on the palate with great complexity and lots of red fruit notes; long, clean finish. This bottle was at peak, thoroughly enjoyable and very impressive. Unlike a recent bottle, this showed all that this wine can be – and that is more than most.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Southbound

by Howie Hart » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:52 am

Congratulations Grandpa! Being a grandparent is great. My grandson is 4 already.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:28 am

Congratulations on grandparenthood!

Nice lineup. I love the '96 regular Savennieres, only have couple left - I drank my lone Papillon WAAAAYY too early. But it was good even then. I love the '89 Beaucastel, but no longer affordable (for a while a few years ago it seemed to be around at decent prices).

Safe trip, and best wishes to your grandkid and his/her parents!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:09 pm

Jim, congrats to you and Diane and my best wishes to your daughter as her baby joins the real world.

Nice wines. I've never had an older Soave, but I adore the Pieropan style. It's a wine I could drink anywhere, any time, and one of those I can thank this board (and probably you) for bringing to my attention.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:04 pm

Jenise wrote:I've never had an older Soave, but I adore the Pieropan style.

Jenise,
While the La Rocca is a fine wine, I would look for the Calvarino from Pieropan and the Capitel Foscarino from Anselmi. My two favorite Soave's in virtually any year and very cellar-worthy.

To all,
Thanks for the kind words.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:10 pm

Florida Jim wrote:Tomorrow I head back to FL for the birth of my first grandchild.

Congrats, Jim ... we're just about crossing paths this weekend. (Waving at you from the Space Coast, east of Orlando.)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:32 pm

One of life's really important passages. My best wishes to you and your family. Regards, Bob