Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:00 pm

I first heard about it from Ina Garten, she has a recipe in one of her books and on her website which is very popular. Nothing to it really, I usually put a rub on my chicken, either whole or pieces, or sometimes a marinade. I cook my poultry on non-stick foil or parchment, for clean-up reasons, and when ready to put into the oven, I place the whole chicken or pieces into the dish, then I place the sourdough baguette bread which I have cut on an angle for more surface to caramelize or brown. Some are put under the chicken, others tucked partially under the chicken or alongside. Some pieces caramelize nicely, especially the ones under the chicken, others toast, others are moist. Ina has a few recipes using this method, but I think she toasts her bread first. I do it my way, and we love it.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:29 pm

Last night, I cooked a favorite of ours, which I believe I have mentioned here before. A chuck roast, this one was boneless, rubbed with coarse sea salt, pepper, and paprika. I used smoked this time, have used half-sharp, and regular. All good and adds to a nice browning. A jar of Bruno's wax peppers, and all the juice is added, along with a can of beef consume or stock I also add Divina Roasted Red Peppers, a product of turkey. They are whole, but lay flat and are easy to chop. They taste wonderful and look pretty in the dish with the green peppers. This is cooked at 275° for 4 to 5 hours or until meat can be pulled. It is mixed in with all the peppers and broth after pulling and we like to put it into Hoagie Rolls. I also made Jasmine Rice to which a mix of cilantro, onion, green onion, lime juice, jalapeno, is blended and added to cooked rice. A nice mix of zucchini, Brussels sprouts, and red bell pepper roasted with Herbs of Provence, fresh garlic-infused EVOO, salt, and pepper roasted. Very satisfying meal with lots of colors.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:42 pm

I really really really want to try that, Karen. I'm salivating imagining the peppers and beef cooked together

I was having a bad day yesterday, and come dinner time I'd done nothing about a meal. What I really wanted was asparagus. I'd found these huge spears at Freddie's for only $2.49 a pound and they were calling. So I made a cold platter with cooked and cooled asparagus (garlic, lemon juice, olive oil), garlic toast, cheeses and cherry tomatoes which we gnoshed on while watching a Ken Burns doc on the history of Baseball, which was very entertaining.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:07 pm

At this time of year, when there is turkey aplenty to be had, I am always amused by a recipe that I reserve for the Spring: turkey legs on a bed of cracker stuffing!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:40 pm

Just watched a Dr. Gundry sponsored 'show' on PBS, all about heart-healthy diets (a whole different version than most of us think of as that) and leaky guts. The steak I got out to thaw is now looking positively evil.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:17 pm

Tonight is a rack of lamb, marinated in Cross & Blackwell mint sauce. Grilled asparagus brushed with fresh garlic-infused olive oil, lemon juice, and coarse salt and pepper. I have too many baby red potatoes, so am doing a roast on those with the same sauce, finished off with chopped chives and I may drizzle on sour cream or not.
Regarding the mint sauce, I first saw that in my aunt's cupboard. She lived on a ranch, where my cousins and I rode horses and played. She was a fabulous cook and had things in her kitchen I had never seen before. I loved the sauce from the start, got my mom to use it on lamb, as well. It is my favorite on a rack of lamb. Does anyone else like it?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:27 pm

Haven't tasted or used it, Karen. I love mint with lamb but usually go the fresh route.

Last night we had a stir fry, green and yellow bell peppers, onions, celery and bamboo in a spicy black bean sauce. Paul, if you're looking, this was the first use of my new jar of LKK Guizhou black bean sauce and wow, is it different than the jar I just used up. A LOT more red chile heat and boy do I love it!!!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:47 pm

I just got a jar of the LKK Guizhou black bean sauce, it reminds me of the Spicy Crisp stuff only with more liquid. It is very potent and I have just started playing with it. Added a touch of it to the chuck roast I did over the weekend. Humm, wonder how that would be on the roasted potatoes tonight, put it on before or after?
Did a little research and found this: https://blog.themalamarket.com/roasted- ... ean-sauce/
Going for it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:20 pm

It is potent! Didn't stop me from putting two heaping tablespoons into last night's stir fry, though. 8)

Love the potato idea. Would also consider cutting up some pork shoulder and roasting the two together. Would be super fine.

Using the chili-bean sauce on clams sound ridiculously good but I have no one to eat them with. Husband can't eat clams. Brother and best friend can but neither can eat spicy food.

I'm alone in the world.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:23 pm

we have too many cookbooks, but I just ordered another- Home Cooking with Jean-Georges: My Favorite Simple Recipes: A Cookbook.
We had dinner with friends a couple weeks ago, I was remembering a salmon dish he had served years ago, he made Betsy a copy of recipe (it's from this JGV book). She made the salmon in yuzu miso broth last night. Wow. You toast some kombu, then put it, a half of a thai chile, some bonito flakes, several sprigs of dill in broth. Strain. Mix with miso, then comes the yuzu, etc. The salmon itself is just roasted at low temp. Salmon in a bowl with cherry tomatoes and silken tofu, broth added, topped with chile and basil. Outstanding.

I'll add my other discovery was Thanksgiving Betsy roasted the turkey in parts.
https://www.seriouseats.com/turkey-in-p ... ark-recipe
Do again.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:17 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I'll add my other discovery was Thanksgiving Betsy roasted the turkey in parts.
Do again.

Oof... marmite and soy sauce? Lots of salt and umami there, I suppose.

I wouldn't wait till the day-of to make the gravy - there's too much else to do. I buy a couple of extra turkey wings, maybe three days before, and make gravy using them (...brown, simmer with veg and herbs, strain, mix into nutty brown roux...). So, day-of, just warm it up, add some goodness from the bottom of the roasting tin, and serve.

Re the bird side of the recipe... I know one friend who insists that spatchcocking the turkey is the way to go. I have no problem roasting it whole. And there's a tradition to uphold here! :D
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:21 am

Jeff, good poin t about making the gravy beforehand (I’d then reserve and subsequently use the pan drippings to make a fresh batch of gravy, or add on the day if a flavour boost seemed indicated
Curious thing, I got a message from my local farmgate re my Christmas goose, apparently it will come with pate and gravy (I had enquired about getting the liver of my bird) as one half of the couple is a chef by trade that should work okay. I’ll try and call in and have chat with him.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:57 am

[quote="Jenise"]It is potent! Didn't stop me from putting two heaping tablespoons into last night's stir fry, though. 8)

Love the potato idea. Would also consider cutting up some pork shoulder and roasting the two together. Would be super fine.

Using the chili-bean sauce on clams sound ridiculously good but I have no one to eat them with. Husband can't eat clams. Brother and best friend can but neither can eat spicy food.

The potato idea was great, I added shallots. Used red bliss potatoes. I could not stop eating them....so good. We'll see if the leftovers tonight are as good. The pork shoulder and potatoes sound yummy!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:06 am

Regarding the turkey gravy, I always made everything ahead, had it down to a science so when the gang came, I could have fun with them. I always have chicken/turkey stock in my freezer, so it was no problem making the gravy a day or two ahead. My secret was to brown the flour first, which makes a huge difference in the flavor of the gravy. My mom used to do that. Once the turkey starts releasing the juices, I would take a ladle out of the pan and add it to the gravy while gently reheating. I reheated my mashed potatoes and dressing in the slow cookers, as well. Sure made for a more relaxed day and the food always had compliments from the gang. The part I liked best was when someone would ask, what can I do to help? It tickled me to say, everything is done, but you can pour the wine and help clean up!!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:45 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:Curious thing, I got a message from my local farmgate re my Christmas goose, apparently it will come with pate and gravy (I had enquired about getting the liver of my bird) as one half of the couple is a chef by trade that should work okay. I’ll try and call in and have chat with him.

Sounds like a nice service! It makes sense for them, too: they probably have leftover bits and pieces of goose that would go to waste otherwise.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:46 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:I'll add my other discovery was Thanksgiving Betsy roasted the turkey in parts.
Do again.

I wouldn't wait till the day-of to make the gravy - there's too much else to do. I buy a couple of extra turkey wings, maybe three days before, and make gravy using them (...brown, simmer with veg and herbs, strain, mix into nutty brown roux...). So, day-of, just warm it up, add some goodness from the bottom of the roasting tin, and serve.

Re the bird side of the recipe... I know one friend who insists that spatchcocking the turkey is the way to go. I have no problem roasting it whole. And there's a tradition to uphold here! :D

We skipped the marmite (although its actually available in my local Stop & Shop, I'd have no idea where to find in Atlanta). Betsy did all the work, but it wasn't laborious, it was ready while turkey cooked (less time than intact bird of course). Of course as Karen said making roux is crucial. Removing breast you do lose out on the beautiful whole bird, but we're eaters, not lookers. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:39 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Do again.

Yes. And look, only 1/4 tsp Marmite to 1 qt stock. Inconsequential in volume, just a more complex version of salt, like the soy sauce.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:45 pm

Tonight we're having friends over. I decided that I wanted to do a braised chicken thigh dish with lots of mushrooms and, maybe, sherry. So that turned into a Spanish theme, all of which I can pull off without another trip to the store (a trip to which is more complex of late). So we'll have:

flatbread topped with goat cheese and artichoke tapenade, olives
salad of chilled asparagus spears and a Romesceau-ish dressing (jarred piquillo peppers, garlic, a dash of mayo, grilled bread, hazelnuts, olive oil, vinegar)
Chicken thighs with mushrooms, sherry and smoked paprika; saffron rice; raw brussels sprout chiffonade garnish

No dessert. Maybe a glass of sherry.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:51 am

Dale Williams wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:mix into nutty brown roux

Of course as Karen said making roux is crucial.

I've never tried to brown the flour first. I just make roux and stir and stir.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:13 pm

I am eating from the freezer tonight, a Minestrone Soup for the husband, and a Seafood Soup for me. Alongside, cornbread with jalapenos and sour cream, from the freezer. I keep the freezer well stocked with homemade soups that freeze well, cornbread, applesauce, pasta sauce, and ravioli of different types, which I buy at the store. They are quite good, especially on busy days when I do not want to cook. I also keep boxes of homemade ravioli from a store in Williams, CA called Granzella's. They make great meat ravioli and their meat sauce rivals mine. So nice to have all this available. I have used them in casseroles, and once even deep-fried them to dip in marinara sauce. Our son instigated that meal and it was really fun.
Last edited by Karen/NoCA on Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:24 pm

I'm so jealous of those ravioli, Karen. I grew up with boxes of fresh made ravioli in our freezer that came from a great Italian restaurant in downtown L.A. I've never had any as good since--nor do I have a source for anything that could rival my affections. The fresh ones in most supermarkets these days look good but the pasta texture, due to preservatives, is odd.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:27 pm

No dinner plans tonight, just a tomato salad. We had a big late lunch out and neither of us is hungry.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:18 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm so jealous of those ravioli, Karen. I grew up with boxes of fresh made ravioli in our freezer that came from a great Italian restaurant in downtown L.A. I've never had any as good since--nor do I have a source for anything that could rival my affections. The fresh ones in most supermarkets these days look good but the pasta texture, due to preservatives, is odd.

Yea, the ones in the grocers are not excellent, but I keep a small package, just enough for two at one meal. Easy to grab and if one has some good pasta sauce in the freezer it is ready in no timel. Sometime when you are driving down 1-5 make a stop in Williams and visit Granzella's if you haven't already. I have not been there in years, but our kids always stop there on their way to Redding, the dil's love to shop there, and I make an order for them to pick up for me. I think they have expanded, have a sports bar in the back, and a fun food shop. Across the street they have a retail store with lots of nice things, to explore. Their ravioli are small, they have a meat variety and a non-meat, which I have never bought, and we really like his meat sauce. I usually add some of my home made to it, for a little more sauce.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:04 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Regarding the mint sauce, I first saw that in my aunt's cupboard. It is my favorite on a rack of lamb. Does anyone else like it?

We never have lamb without mint sauce, and not just on the meat but on the veggies as well. Unfortunately commercial stuff is so sweet and many contain a low percentage of mint. Until recently Colman's had just the mint to which you could add vinegar/water/sugar whatever you like to make the sauce, but they must have realised they could make more money selling made up sauce.

In summer I use the mint I grow, but at this this time of year the mint is manky.

BTW we discussed mint sauce here a couple of months ago see here
PreviousNext