Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Next Level Chef

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Next Level Chef

by Bill Spohn » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:50 pm

https://deadline.com/2021/12/next-level ... 234890979/

Ramsay has a new show starting next month - another food game show creation - guess we will see whether it entertains or not. Starts Jan. 2, 2022
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Next Level Chaf

by Jenise » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:15 pm

The most interesting thing about that, to me, is that Richard Blaise is part of the staff. (It's the only fact I know about the show.) I really like Richard. But of course, I really liked Anthony Bourdain and Ludo Lefebvre, which didn't stop them making a stupid show so nothing's gauranteed.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:22 pm

None are proof against network idiocy, as witness one of my favourites Alton Brown having to participate in that ridiculous Cutthroat Kitchen.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:36 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:None are proof against network idiocy, as witness one of my favourites Alton Brown having to participate in that ridiculous Cutthroat Kitchen.

So true! I only watched one or three episodes of that. Just couldn't stay interested and the judging by only one judge, almost always Antonia, seemed so lame.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Next Level Chef

by Jenise » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:26 pm

So whatcha think of Next Level Chef so far?

The plot twists are kind of interesting. It's already fairly clear who has enough chops and who doesn't. Re the last episode, I'm guessing that the sage in Sergio's chicken was less a problem than making four even teams for better competition going forward. Of course we didn't taste the food, but his chicken was prepared well and by far a more 'next level' concept than what the other contestant made. I know which one I'd have wanted to eat!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:10 pm

I could do with less fake drama and dress up. For those that haven't watched they have a probably very expensive set with three floors and an elevator that goes up and down carrying ingredients for people to grab at each level with limited time to do so.

That detracts from the enjoyment for me.

My favourite is still Chopped - simple rules, challenging ingredients and guest judges.

I guess that the P.T. Barnum crap must be a draw for some people but it makes a show less likely that I will watch it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:That detracts from the enjoyment for me.

Same, and essentially why I didn't make it past three episodes of Cutthroat Kitchen which was about ingenuity, cruelty and luck more than it was cooking. Couldn't stand it. On this show, like Chopped, at least they cook.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:14 pm

I am a Chopped devotee. But in the last two seasons I have been really put off by the judges giving hints about what they would do with the ingredients. But, really nauseated by the judges needing to get up and peer in the pots to see "what they're doing" and talking to the contestants about the direction they are taking with their ingredients. Why? If all goes well you will know in 20-30 minutes. Talk about distracting -- and maddening! If I were a contestant I would be tempted to say, "so sit yo' ass down -- I'll be there in a minute". I don't watch cooking shows that I know are going to be stupid by the concept. Worst Cooks in America; Cutthroat Kitchen; and the couple with the grocery stores; and none of the Kids cooking shows. You can't convince me that an 8 year old has a full grasp of how to temper chocolate or make a Pavlova!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:11 pm

How about Beat Bobby Flay? aside from many people hoping he gets beaten, that show is similar to a simplified Chopped with only one ingredient in the first round and a free for all in the second. (I love it when a baker chooses to do something outside Flay's area, although he always seems to do decently).
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:08 pm

NO! Personally, I don't care if you (think you) can beat a guy cooking who makes brunch for a living.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:21 pm

Jo Ann, we're on the same page. I've only seen Bobby Flay's show 2 or 3 times and I wasn't impressed though completely separate from the show Bobby;s skills are undeniable (and he's a cat guy!).
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:34 am

Flay was doing "throwdowns" years ago, too. This is my local fishmonger doing a chowder competition with him (fishmonger's website): https://www.fishtalesonline.com/fishtalesvideo.php