The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bloomin’ Onion

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Bloomin’ Onion

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:49 pm

• 2019 Domaine de la Côte Pinot Noir Bloom's Field - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (1/28/2022)
    On CellarTracker another taster said this was a “hard wine to figure out.” I largely agree with that sentiment, though tasting over two nights has allowed me to put a few puzzle pieces in the correct places. On night one it started angry, and with a green streak that was reminiscent of Loire Cabernet Franc. Ninety minutes later it was intensely aromatic, showing fruit, earth, and still bits of that green streak, though it was reduced to a nuance rather that being dominant. Night two retained much of the open for ninety minutes character from night one, though with more obvious tannin, and the aromatics slightly subdued/dissipated from being open 24 hours. Overall still balanced, but on the aggressive side for what I generally expect from Pinot Noir, regardless of origin. Best to let it rest a few years, and see what happens as it ages in bottle. It’s interesting now, but not much fun.
Decisions are made by those who show up