Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Food prices

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Food prices

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:53 am

I'm starting to see food and inflation prices on a number of items--except for eggs. For whatever reason, eggs have been quite reasonably priced here. At Smith's right now an 18-count carton of eggs is 97 cents. But my eyes popped out on springs when I passed by the Spam and noted the price has risen to $3.59 for a can. And, mamma-mia, bacon. I've seen some go for about $12/lb. Kinda ruins my breakfast.

And, alas, now the Dollar Tree is a Dollar and a Quarter Tree, a full 25% leap in prices. I wish I had loaded up on some things last week.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: Food prices

by Barb Downunder » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:33 am

Larry, Are eggs at that price a loss leader, surely they have to be. I have always seen (to me) absurdly low egg prices in the US but wow.
I assume these are cage eggs. What price are free range eggs out of interest?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:56 am

No doubts, lots of loss leaders that I take advantage of. I occasionally find cage free and free range marked down to a steal, but I think they're usually $3-5. I'll take a look next time I'm in a grocery store.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:50 pm

I buy eggs from locals who raise chickens. I pay anywhere from $2 to $9 a dozen. I paid $9 at the Farmers Market and decided I could buy from locals who have backyard chickens for much less, I get very nice eggs and depending on the type of chicken they have and housing for them, many lay all year long. Never have I seen eggs here for less than $1, that is amazing.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:05 pm

We don't have a current source of neighborhood eggs, but I'll gladly pay $3.99 a dozen for organic pastured eggs from local producers. We probably go through a dozen a week, and I'm happy to pay the difference.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:36 pm

The organic range free eggs are about $5 to $9 here; the cage free eggs are in the realm of $2.50. Regular eggs are usually around $1.50 or slightly above.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:31 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:The organic range free eggs are about $5 to $9 here; the cage free eggs are in the realm of $2.50. Regular eggs are usually around $1.50 or slightly above.

I pay $6 at my local farm when I can get to it (disaster-related re-arrangements in local topography steer me in other directions, so I've not been there regularly), but at the local Kroger chain (called Fred Meyer) the $6 organic free-range eggs I used to buy when I couldn't get to Homefarm are now $8. Cheap no-nonsense eggs are about $3-4. I'm seeing increased prices on just about every trip to the store.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:41 am

I have the good fortune to live 3 km from a farm that has pasture raised eggs (7.50 dozen) as well as fruit, vegetables and meats and choose to support the couple who own and run it. I don’t eat a lot these days 8)