Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP Potato Lemon Soup (for Bob Ross, et al)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

RCP Potato Lemon Soup (for Bob Ross, et al)

by Bill Spencer » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:35 pm

%^)

From "Citrus" by Ethel and Georgeanne Brennan ...

2 T Olive oil
2 Sweet yellow onions, thinly sliced
1 T Grated lemon zest
1/2 t Grated ginger
1 C Fresh lemon juice
1/2 t Sugar
1/2 t Salt
1/2 t Fresh ground pepper
4 C Water
4 Large red potatoes, boiled and chopped
2 T Italian parsley, chopped

In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil ... add the sliced onions, lemon zest, and ginger and saute until the onions are translucent ... add the fresh lemon juice, sugar, salt, and pepper and continue to saute for a few minutes longer ... add the water, raising the heat to high, and bring to a boil ... cover and reduce the contents to a simmer ... simmer until the broth is golden and the onions have almost disintegrated ... remove from the heat and strain through a sieve into a clean container ... discard the contents of the sieve ... working in batches if necessary, combine the strained stock and the chopped potatoes in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth ... transfer the puree to a clean saucepan and bring to a gentle boil ... ladle into warmed soup bowls and garnish each serving with a little of the Italian parsley ...

Makes aproximately 6 servings

Hey Bob ! Do the potatoes make this lemon soup a little more Polish than the other recipe ?

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: RC: Potato Lemon Soup (for Bob Ross, et al)

by Bob Ross » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:49 pm

Thanks, Bill. That does look Polish. I'll try it out on Janet, and revert.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RC: Potato Lemon Soup (for Bob Ross, et al)

by Jenise » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:16 pm

Bill, that looks like a perfect Jenise-Breakfast. Quite unlike any other lemon soup I've ever seen, too. Most have been Greekish and involved lemon.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

A question for a chef like you ...

by Bill Spencer » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:36 pm

%^)

... as opposed to a cook like me ...

What would you think about substituting chicken broth for the water ? How do you think it would change the soup ?

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: A question for a chef like you ...

by Jenise » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:44 pm

I think the chicken broth would give it a third leg of dimension, Bill. But without having tasted it and knowing whether I'd prefer that or not, I don't dislike it as a strictly vegetarian dish. Might be tempted to go with a vegetable broth to both give it more dimension and yet keep it pure.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

See ...

by Bill Spencer » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:58 pm

%^)

... I KNEW there was a reason to ask you ! Chicken broth would add "meat" to an obviously vegetarian dish ... DUH ! Think I will try it with vegetable broth ... might make it a little more "rich" without radically changing the flavors of the soup ...

Thanks !

Clink !

%^)

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: See ...

by Jenise » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:10 pm

You know what would be GOOD? Do you ever cook with fennel? I always save the stalks (in the freezer) when I buy bulbs, and I sometimes boil them in water to make a vegetarian, fennel-broth for risotto. The same flavored water for this soup would be fabulous--there's nothing about lemon and potato that fennel doesn't love.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

So ...

by Bill Spencer » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:47 am

%^)

... how many fennel stalks of what size in how much water and cooked how long to make 4 cups of broth, Ms. Jenise ?

You NEVER cease to amaze me !

Clink !

%^)

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: So ...

by Jenise » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:38 pm

Bill, do you cook fennel at any other time? If not, then buy one fennel bulb, cut it into hunks and simmer for about 20 minutes. That should give you a nicely flavored fennel water. If you DO have another use for the fennel bulb (great in salads!), then a handful of stalks (every market trims them differently, the stalks could be anywhere from 3 to 10 inches so it's hard to specify a quantity) and would be using just stalks, consider two-three bulbs' worth. The only reason to use stalk only is to use what you would otherwise throw away--typically one uses only the bulb because the stalk is too stringy. You won't need a lot because you don't want the licorice flavor to dominate, you just want to put a third leg under your flavor table, so to speak.