Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sprouting celery

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Sprouting celery

by Jenise » Sat May 21, 2022 2:58 pm

So two or three weeks ago or so I had some celery that was going bad: outer stalks turned yellow and were twisting sideways. I peeled all those off and put the two puny little leftovers in a tumbler full of water thinking it would revive them a bit. Well, it did, and what was yellow turned green and every single stalk started sprouting vivid green leaves. My favorite thing: celery leaves, and I was now making my own (when bought at the grocery in the States, the leaves--the best part!--are always trimmed off). I had no idea this would happen. I'm going to start keeping celery on the counter!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Sprouting celery

by Christina Georgina » Sun May 22, 2022 9:23 am

Good to know. I imagine flavor is less intense?
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun May 22, 2022 10:28 am

Jenise, celery will sprout and so will the tips of the green onions that you cut off, simply place them in a small bowl of water and you will get a new onion. I've bought celery at Farmer's Market before and they always leave the leaves. Strange though, no one seems to grow it here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 22, 2022 6:53 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Good to know. I imagine flavor is less intense?

Actually no, stronger! Just smaller.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 22, 2022 6:55 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise, celery will sprout and so will the tips of the green onions that you cut off, simply place them in a small bowl of water and you will get a new onion. I've bought celery at Farmer's Market before and they always leave the leaves. Strange though, no one seems to grow it here.

Yes, Farmers Markets will leave the leaves because they're selling younger, shorter stalks. Grocery store celery is grown larger/taller, and they're trimmed for a neat fit in the produce section. But it's also true that celery leaves aren't valued here. Whereas in the Netherlands, say, the leaves are highly valued--they're trimmed from the branches and packaged/sold separately.