The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Peace red, Defaix Chablis, CRB SB, & Laulerie (Bergerac)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Peace red, Defaix Chablis, CRB SB, & Laulerie (Bergerac)

by Dale Williams » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:25 pm

2004 Peace Family Red (SE Australia) - this was a gift (though I ended up making an equivalent contribution for ethical reasons) from some friends who bought it for the peace symbol on the label. Frankly, probably the best thing about it. Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, and Mataro. Ripe, low-acid, ripe, short finish, ripe, low-acid, herby, flabbily low-acid. That about sums it up. Into the vinegar crock! C

2003 Chateau Laulerie (Bergerac)This seems a caricature of the vintage at first, very ripe -nay, overripe- black plum fruit with some tannins but little supporting acidity. On night two it had settled down a bit and was a little more pleasant,but still spoke more of the hot summer of 2003 than of Bergerac. Some cassis and vanilla, this could pass for an average modern Bdx satellite from a ripe year. Not enticing, but servicable. B-

2002 Defaix Chablis
Modest chalky/flinty notes over somewhat anemic apple fruit. I don't get any oak here, and I really TRY to like this wine. But while the flavors hit the right notes for my Chablis jones, there's just not enough flavors. I like light, but this borders on weak. B-

2004 Clos Roche Blanche SauvignonAh, whew. This is more like it. Vibrant acidity, grass and bright fruit (tropical and grapefruit, even a hint of strawberry), a gunflint minerality and a clean finish. Not as exotic as the Numero 5, but an excellent example of why I don't need Mike Steinberger as my wine coach. Great with a dish of shrimp and leeks over pasta. B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

WTN
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: TN: Peace red, Defaix Chablis, CRB SB, & Laulerie (Berge

by Saina » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:47 am

Thanks for the notes! Which Defaix was your's, Bernard?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.