Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Rye flakes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Rye flakes

by Larry Greenly » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:33 pm

I've eaten my share of oat flakes as a cereal and I've used rye flakes in my bread baking, but I never ate them as a cereal--until today. I got a deal on a bag of rye flakes for my breads and noticed on the label that they can be cooked for a cereal: 1:3 parts water, touch of salt, a little sweetener (I used monkfruit) and cook covered 25-30 min. Quite tasty.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Rye flakes

by Jenise » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:32 pm

I love everything rye but not everything cereal, so I likely won't get around to this, but it's an interesting thought. I've never seen anything called 'rye flakes'. You say you put them in your breads?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:34 am

No two of my breads are alike. I constantly fiddle with different flours and other ingredients. For a long while I was using dried orange peel, coriander powder, and fennel seeds with different combinations of flours. I virtually always use at least a little rye flour to ramp up the flavor. Except this weekend when I made Japanese milk bread. An interesting recipe, technique, and with a soft, tender crumb.

Rye flakes can be found where you see Bob's Red Mill products in grocery stores or in bulk in health food stores. They look similar to oat flakes, but take longer to cook: ~10-15 min for oat flakes vs ~25-30 min for the rye flakes--almost as long as for steel-cut oats. Since both oat and rye flakes have been partially processed, I use them sometimes in my bread and/or on top. I've been known to use bulghur* in my bread, too.

I cook bulghur to soften it before it goes into the bread, else it's like b-b's.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:40 pm

Japanese milk bread is very interesting, I've watched several YouTubes on it but have never eaten any. Looks like an utterly delicious texture.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:17 pm

I use steel cut oats and cracked rye in breads after soaking them in warm water. Adds a great texture and improves storage. I've only used rye flakes as an exterior coating on breads thinking that the more refined flakes makes the crumb gummy. In general I only use rye flours and rye meal in sourdough breads ... lot of interesting biochemical reasons to improve rise, browning and limit gumminess from the rye complex sugars not to mention the great flavors. I'm all for rye anything !
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:03 pm

We had a bread maker once and I loved making different kinds of bread. However, as I went along I realized how much room all the necessary ingredients were taking up in my fridge, freezer and pantry.. As our family shrunk, bread making became more of a chore, and hard to get the loaves consumed. So, I gave away all my stuff including the bread maker. I do love this bread... but it is hard to find a bakery that does it right.
https://allyoukneadisbread.com/sourdoug ... rye-bread/
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:05 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:I use steel cut oats and cracked rye in breads after soaking them in warm water. Adds a great texture and improves storage. I've only used rye flakes as an exterior coating on breads thinking that the more refined flakes makes the crumb gummy. In general I only use rye flours and rye meal in sourdough breads ... lot of interesting biochemical reasons to improve rise, browning and limit gumminess from the rye complex sugars not to mention the great flavors. I'm all for rye anything !

I've done the same thing with steel-cut oats and bulghur. I've never had any gumminess problem with any kind of flakes. I always make sure the bread interior is at least 200-205 F before I yank it out of the oven and let it rest for at least 20 minutes.

At least a small portion of rye goes into most of my breads to ramp up the flavor. As I type this, bread is baking in the oven: white flour, WW flour, rye flour, oat flakes, wheat germ, wheat bran.