Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Don't burn the bacon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Don't burn the bacon

by Thomas » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:47 pm

I put some bacon on the grill to slow cook to get rid of most of the fat. The bacon was for my pinto bean dish with garlic, onion, and bacon in tomato puree with hot peppers, basil, thyme and bay leave. A little sweet wine plus some stock, nice hot dish for a quick winter lunch.

Well, the phone rang and I completely forgot about the bacon after hanging up the phone, until I smelled burnt fat. Disgusting taste, burnt bacon.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Don't burn the bacon

by Jenise » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:09 pm

I've done it too, little smells worse. Burnt popcorn's right up there, though.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Don't burn the bacon

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:41 pm

Jenise wrote:I've done it too, little smells worse. Burnt popcorn's right up there, though.

Speaking of that popcorn smell, we seem to have a fair number of people where I work who have problems microwaving popcorn without burning it. You'd think that people who can sequence DNA, identify rare bacteria, and operate mass spectrometers could figure out the popcorn thing. But NOOOOOoooooo. Seems that at least once a week, we get the delectible aroma of burnt Orville Redenbacher wafting through the facility. At first sniff, everyone runs over to their instrumentation to make sure no circuit boards are on fire. It takes another minute or two for the odor to become unmistakable.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child