The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pauillac Tasting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN: Pauillac Tasting

by wrcstl » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:55 am

Brief notes on Pauillac tasting Saturday night

'89 Pichon LaLande - hint of chocolate, soft, fully integrated, long finish with some cotton mouth feel tannins on finish. Probably just approaching drinkability but will last many years. Very approachable and typical of La Lande feminine style. My #2 WOTN

'89 Haut Batailley - tight, seemed light on palate, less evolved than the La Lande. Hard to judge

'99 Pichon Baron - Nice wine, not open but obviouosly a big wine. May try to find a few bottles and stick them in the cellar.

'95 Grand Puy Lacoste - Splash decanted this wine in the afternoon, put it back in the bottle and then decanted for the tasting. showed very well with nice fruit, lots going on but still young. Gave it every chance to show and it did rather well and my #3 WOTN. Recommend keeping for at least another 5 years before drinking unless you have a bunch of it.

'98 Grand Puy Lacoste - somewhat disconnected, not much there. Afraid it is showing it's year and wouldn't expect much later. It drank OK but not up to why you buy GPL and what you expect.

'78 Latour - Definitely the WOTN for me. Silky smooth, fully evolved, nice lingering finish. Hard to criticize this wine and why I collect and drink old Bordeaux. If you like wine with lots of fruit and body it may not be your cup of tea. Several of the guests liked the wine but not their favorite of the night and preferred others bigger wines.

'89 Latour - We should be punished for opening this wine. Too young, unyielding, obviously good stuff there but needs many more years. In hind site this wine should have been treated like the '95 GPL and given a chance to open somewhat. I was afraid and thought there may be a law against treating a Latour that way.

Walt

Walt
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: TN: Pauillac Tasting

by OW Holmes » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:46 am

Sorry to hear about the '98 GPL. As a youngster it showed quite a lot. I tasted that a few years ago and rushed out to buy four more bottles. Very pauillac. Is it possible it is just going thru an awkward phase?
-OW
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:17 am

OW,
I may be a victim of the wine press on this wine. Did not buy any '98 as only the right bank got good comments and they tend to be pricey. This wine could be exactly as I described, OK but not worth bragging about; or in a dumb stage and will show much better in several years. I have most years of GPL and really like the property. This wine is in a store for $35 but still think I would put my money elsewhere, such as the '96 Gruaud for $46 (had to buy that one).
Walt
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:30 am

Here's hoping that it's in a dumb phase. I guess I have nothing to lose by hanging on for a few more years.
You're right, though. I'd certainly take almost any 96 left banker over a comparable '98. Had a really nice '96 clerc milon last Thursday - at peak and very long.
-OW
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:40 am

OW,
Question on Bordeaux vintages and somewhat off the topic. What is drinking earlier, '95 or '96. Excluding first growths it seems that most classified growths in '95 are still tight, more classic in style and will benefit with another 3-5 years. The '96 seems to be drinking earlier, fleshier, and somewhat on the ripe side of classic. This is based on only a few bottles opened as I have most of them still sitting in the cellar waiting for instructions.
Walt
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:56 am

I have only tasted one 95 beside a 96 of the same producer recently, and am just beginning to work on my 96s. The few 95s I tried convinced me to hold off on all 95s for another 4 or 5 years. The 96s seem well ahead, except for some traditionally slow to mature. But even the 96 Sociando Mallet was ahead of the 95. My impression matches yours, though I think neither are really at prime (the 96 Clerc was the first I've had that I thought was there) but these conclusions are based on a small group of wines. Thankfully I have some 94s and some 97s left when I just have to have a bordeaux fix, and some of the 2000s are showing well - if somewhat simple - now.
Disclaimer - I like bordeaux more mature than many do, and what I consider prime many would think was fading.
-OW
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:03 am

Our palates are probably similar. Am tempted to open a '96 Gruaud just as a bench mark for what to expect of the vintage. I tend to drink my Bordeaux as old as my patience will allow. Had a '70 Lascombs last month and it was beautiful. Tend to drink them only with my wife over a relaxing evening as old Bordeaux usually do not show well at tastings. I bought several '94's but do not consider them ready. They remind me somewhat of '88, tannic, slow to come around and rather classic (read not fruit driven) which is the style I like and fortunately tends to get rather low scores from reviewers. I only bought 18 bottles of 2000 but have purchased more 2001 and am going back and picking up some '99s.
Walt
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:10 am

I wish I had shown your restraint on the 2000s. I bought a bunch on futures. I have only tried the cheapies so far - Riegnac, Bernadotte, Marjosse, etc..., but I am not impressed. Hopefully the Lynch Bages, Pontet Canet, SM, Duhart Milon, Pichon Baron, etc. will be better, or at least less modern.
-OW
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:16 am

OW
RP would be proud of you. :lol:
Walt
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:44 am

That hurts.
-OW
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:32 pm

Walt, thanks for the notes! Most 99s I've recently had - including the Pichon Baron - have been surprisingly open and enjoyable. I suppose the saying "there aren't any good old wines, only good bottles" should be modified to "there are only good bottles!"

They remind me somewhat of '88, tannic, slow to come around and rather classic (read not fruit driven) which is the style I like and fortunately tends to get rather low scores from reviewers. I only bought 18 bottles of 2000 but have purchased more 2001 and am going back and picking up some '99s.

Aaah! Finally I meet another with my type of tastes in this region. I love the 88s - perhaps my favourite vintage of any which I've tasted any serious amounts of. And I very much like the 94s also and 2001s I've been buying quite a bit: as much as my student budget allows. 2000 I passed almost completely. I think I have three bottles - all meant for consumption fairly soon.

I wish I had shown your restraint on the 2000s. I bought a bunch on futures. I have only tried the cheapies so far - Riegnac, Bernadotte, Marjosse, etc..., but I am not impressed. Hopefully the Lynch Bages, Pontet Canet, SM, Duhart Milon, Pichon Baron, etc. will be better, or at least less modern.

I've got bad news for you. I passed on all of these. Too modern for my tastes.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.