The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

wine books

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Lizbeth S

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Philadelphia, PA

wine books

by Lizbeth S » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:01 pm

Greetings all! I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on good wine books. I have read a lot of the more general overviews on wine, and I would love to know of some more "advanced" books.

As a side note, I really enjoy reading the tasting notes and other discussions on this board. I am still a law student, so I cannot afford many of the wines, but one day.... :D
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: wine books

by Saina » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:24 pm

Lizbeth wrote:Greetings all! I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on good wine books. I have read a lot of the more general overviews on wine, and I would love to know of some more "advanced" books.

As a side note, I really enjoy reading the tasting notes and other discussions on this board. I am still a law student, so I cannot afford many of the wines, but one day.... :D

Lizbeth, great to see another student on board! First of all, I would get any book (yes, unconditional praise for the author) by Jancis Robinson. She rocks! Also Hugh Johnson's Atlas of Wine is a must and his Pocket Wine Guide (comes out every year) is great. These should get you to a start. These, though overviews, are such great references that I like to always have them at hand. Or did you have a certain area which you would like to get reccos on?

Oh, and if like me you are on a tight budget, get thee to a tasting group (small portions, but for cheap you can taste wines you'd never otherwise be able to taste) and start drinking lots of Loire wines (under appreciated but cracking stuff, ergo cheap!).

Cheers,
Fellow student of something not so financially viable as law, LOL!!

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:38 pm

If you go to
http://www.wineloverspage.com/
you'll find links to many wine related topics, including "Wine Books". If you browse through the links you'll find one of my favorites, which you can download for free! Its under winemaking and titled "Home Winemakers Manual". Even if you don't plan on making wine, knowing how its made, all the variables, techniques, grapes, etc. is an education in itself. In addition, as a student with limited resources, making your own wine is a great hobby and you can make some very nice wines for less than $2.00 per bottle.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:45 pm

I second the recommendation of Hugh Johnson's World Atlas of Wine.

For a more in-depth look at a couple of wine regions, I recommend two books by Remington Norman:

Rhone Renaissance - This book looks at the grape varieties, appellations, wine estates, and winemakers not just of the Rhone Valley in France, but those worldwide who use the grape varieties of that area.

The Great Domaines of Burgundy - An in-depth look at some of the top winemaking estates, and top winemakers, of this famous region.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:36 pm

For quick reference on lots of things, I turn often to Oz Clarke's Pocket Wine Guide. And it's cheap!!!
Cheers, Jim