Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cutting back on wine with meals

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Cutting back on wine with meals

by Saina » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:11 pm

Jenise, I've now for a couple weeks also been doing the same: I've only gone to formal tastings (except for Valentines day and a farewell party), but I haven't opened up wine at home. Normally I used to go through a moderate (IMO - I don't know if it's considered moderate on that side of the pond) amount of 2-3 bottles a week, but now about one or a bit less. I see no difference in the way I feel, but I have noticed that my eating habits have changed. I don't any more make "elegant", wine-compatible meals. I eat Indian, Thai, Chinese, Arabic, Turkish meals. I love spicy food and whereas I used to eat it only a couple times a week, now I'm eating it 6-7 days a week! :)

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:12 pm

Otto, a factoid from my GNC Livewell Magazine this month claims :

"Apparently, eating 3g of chilli sauce with a meal burns up to 25% more kilojoules. Hot stuff !!!!"

Not sure if it burns 25% more kilojoules in the meal, or just in the chilli sauce.. :D

Woohoo...I wonder...if I eat 12g of chili sauce, do I get the whole meal calorie-free ?
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:59 pm

TimMc wrote:You're right, Jenise....and I apologize if I offended.

I guess it's just how I'm wired: I'm programmed for "rescue" not "bystander." :)

Tim, oh no offense taken--you're a man and all men are programmed that way. You want to 'fix'. And most of the time, that's good. :) It was just mildly disconcerting to come back to my computer after 24 hours and find my little post about meal planning torn down like a leaky faucet!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:14 pm

I don't any more make "elegant", wine-compatible meals.

That's it in a nutshell--it's just easier to go lite without wine. And re spicy food, you probably nailed the reason we've been on a taco binge this week. Another night, I made homemade fish sticks and cucumber pickles--finger food in front of the TV, since now I don't have to worry about how to manage a wine glass. Now if only hot dogs and potato chips were dietetic....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:54 pm

Bob has more energy without, and that's all that matters.

TMI! TMI!
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:24 pm

Jenise wrote:
TimMc wrote:You're right, Jenise....and I apologize if I offended.

I guess it's just how I'm wired: I'm programmed for "rescue" not "bystander." :)

Tim, oh no offense taken--you're a man and all men are programmed that way. You want to 'fix'. And most of the time, that's good. :) It was just mildly disconcerting to come back to my computer after 24 hours and find my little post about meal planning torn down like a leaky faucet!

My wife tells me the same thing, Jenise. Mostly in the form of "Just sit there and listen, don't try to fix it for me!" Reluctantly, I comply....well, most of the time. :wink:

My only suggestion relative to menu planning is don't fall into the cycle of taking the path of least resistance....it has been my experience that we find more fat inducing foods as a result and it might defeat the original purpose. Make sense?

Good luck!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:57 pm

"If you were to try not to eat dinner for a week would the outcome be either a sign of a weak willpower or a sign of a strong addiction to food?

My point: alcohol addiction is a far nastier thing than having two glasses of wine with dinner every day of your adult life. i don't think that your experiment shows you are not addicted to wine; it shows that you have will power."

I disagree, Thomas. I probably didn't explain myself very well -- I was trying to say that I actually enjoy not drinking wine during the "dry periods". Just as I enjoy fasting for a day or two from time to time.

It's not a matter of will power at all.

In fact, if I had to exercise will power not to drink wine, I would extend the "dry" period until I no longer had to do so.

In any event, my purpose in posting was merely to try to empathize with Jenise's and Bob's decision to cut back. I've found positives as well as negatives in abstinence -- of both wine and food.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:00 pm

Tim said:
My only suggestion relative to menu planning is don't fall into the cycle of taking the path of least resistance....it has been my experience that we find more fat inducing foods as a result and it might defeat the original purpose. Make sense?

No danger, Tim. It's actually the carbs I'm most interested in cutting back on, and the lack of same might be as responsible for the malaise as the lack of wine. Pasta is my chocolate.

And Stuart: lol!

Bob Ross: I recognized your empathy and I thank you for it. You touched on something crucial: discipline. It wasn't our motive, but it does feel good to feel good to re-establish the idea that you have it, it doesn't have you.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:22 pm

" ... you have it, it doesn't have you."

That is beautifully put, Jenise, thank you. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:07 am

Bob Ross wrote:"If you were to try not to eat dinner for a week would the outcome be either a sign of a weak willpower or a sign of a strong addiction to food?

My point: alcohol addiction is a far nastier thing than having two glasses of wine with dinner every day of your adult life. i don't think that your experiment shows you are not addicted to wine; it shows that you have will power."

I disagree, Thomas. I probably didn't explain myself very well -- I was trying to say that I actually enjoy not drinking wine during the "dry periods". Just as I enjoy fasting for a day or two from time to time.

It's not a matter of will power at all.

In fact, if I had to exercise will power not to drink wine, I would extend the "dry" period until I no longer had to do so.

In any event, my purpose in posting was merely to try to empathize with Jenise's and Bob's decision to cut back. I've found positives as well as negatives in abstinence -- of both wine and food.

Regards, Bob

Yes Bob. There are those who fast as a way of cleansing. Used to do that myself every Sunday.

I reacted to something you said about being compulsive, which to me is a whole separate subject. Sorry if I misunderstood what you meant.
Last edited by Thomas on Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:44 am

Jenise,

Consider exploring cuisines such as Chinese, Thai, and Indian that match with wine with great difficulty (if at all). Endless possibilities and palate excitement to explore in each of these.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:17 pm

Jenise wrote:Tim said:

No danger, Tim. It's actually the carbs I'm most interested in cutting back on, and the lack of same might be as responsible for the malaise as the lack of wine. Pasta is my chocolate.

Bread is my down fall....I could make an entire meal out of a freshly baked loaf of bread.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:50 pm

It's a good thing you're not my neighbor, then.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:04 pm

Bread is your weakness, too?

Well, if it's any consolation....it's a big club. :)
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:23 pm

I think for Larry it's more a vocation than a weakness... <grin>
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:14 pm

Right. Today I traded a Hungarian farm bread straight out of the oven to my cousin for a brake job. Give away 50% is my motto.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:20 pm

celia wrote:I think for Larry it's more a vocation than a weakness... <grin>

So Larry is a bread maker/baker?

Cool 8)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:10 am

C'est moi.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:45 am

Do you send out? :wink:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:23 am

I occasionally use a freshly baked loaf for a door prize at my writing class or SWW meeting. Very popular.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:10 am

Larry Greenly wrote:I occasionally use a freshly baked loaf for a door prize at my writing class or SWW meeting. Very popular.

Um.

Do you deliver? :D
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:51 am

Actually, I do. But only locally.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:44 am

Dang!
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:35 am

Bread is my down fall....I could make an entire meal out of a freshly baked loaf of bread

Tim,
Add a little olive oil and a glass of wine and you've definitely got a meal in my book.
Howard
PreviousNext