The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

03 A Mano Primitivo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

03 A Mano Primitivo

by Paulo in Philly » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:48 pm

:D What a surprise - I recently had this great QPR and rejoiced in the fact it was not soaked in oak like in the previous years. Has anybody else been slightly surprised as well?
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: 03 A Mano Primitivo

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:44 pm

Paulo wrote::D What a surprise - I recently had this great QPR and rejoiced in the fact it was not soaked in oak like in the previous years. Has anybody else been slightly surprised as well?

Havent tried it yet, Paulo. It doesnt suffer from the obvious hot vintage traits?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Primitivo

by James Roscoe » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:16 pm

Was '03 hot in Puglia too. I prefer the Roca Dei Mora (sic) Primitivo to the A Mano generally. But if it's got Paulo's okay I should give the '03 a try?

Paulo - What did you pay for it and where? Was it a PA state store buy or contraband from across the river?
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

Re: 03 A Mano Primitivo

by Paulo in Philly » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:36 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
Paulo wrote::D What a surprise - I recently had this great QPR and rejoiced in the fact it was not soaked in oak like in the previous years. Has anybody else been slightly surprised as well?

Havent tried it yet, Paulo. It doesnt suffer from the obvious hot vintage traits?

Not to the point it would turn me off. I remember the 02 being oaked and way too fruit forward - could not drink it. The 03 was just fine, actually more refined than I thought it would be. Maybe they tried manipulating the 02 with oak because of the rain in the summer? I was just curious if anyone has noticed a drastic change.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

Re: Primitivo

by Paulo in Philly » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:38 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Was '03 hot in Puglia too. I prefer the Roca Dei Mora (sic) Primitivo to the A Mano generally. But if it's got Paulo's okay I should give the '03 a try?

Paulo - What did you pay for it and where? Was it a PA state store buy or contraband from across the river?

I'd be curious if you'd try it and let me know what you thought of it. The 01 I had was interesting, then the 02 I had was overly oaked and much more fruit concentrated and forward. The 03 was leaner, with plenty of fruit, but not overly forward, and a good balance of oak. I think I paid about $12 bucks here in PA at a state store.