The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

For Paul B.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kim Adams

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:50 pm

For Paul B.

by Kim Adams » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:53 am

Hey Paul, don't know if you've seen this:

http://info.detnews.com/wine/columns/silfven/details.cfm?id=339
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: For Paul B.

by Howie Hart » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:24 am

Wow! PaulB hits the press! Thanks for posting!
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:03 am

Well sure I saw it. But you can't toot your own horn all the time ... :wink:

At best, I just hope it gets more winemakers at least thinking about stepping outside the box with our native grapes and trying new styles.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:34 am

A tip of the hat Paul! Whenever I've come across Silfven's column I thought it was pretty good. This time of course it's wonderful.

By the way, I've taken the pledge: No more ameliorating. This is one of the 'ways to make wine' that came down to me unchallenged but that I've lately come to realize ain't necessarily so. Your case against it is persuasive.

On the other hand, another piece of the canon I've also reconsidered probably won't arouse your enthusiasm. The old way said to ferment dry and then just leave it alone. Now I'm not so sure that a little sweetening can't be beneficial. Rather than cane sugar though, I've been playing around with using the juice itself.

A small amount of the original juice can be set aside and prevented from fermenting by sulfiting and refrigerating. It can be racked too to remove leftover debris. When the rest of the juice has fermented out, a little of this can be blended in and prevented from fermentating by adding sorbate.

Sweetening this way has the virtue of preserving varietal character. Might that make it just a venial sin?
Last edited by Dan Smothergill on Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:55 pm, edited 11 times in total.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:38 am

Dan, I'd say it ain't even a venial sin! :D I actually applaud your method - it's much better to re-sweeten the wine with actual unfermented juice, as opposed to cane sugar. I use cane sugar only for chaptalization and I don't mind it because the sugar gets completely converted to alcohol - there's none of it "left" in the wine, so to speak.

I think that up to 1% rs in a pure, well made labrusca wine is just fine, though my personal preference is for bone-dry.

By the way, Dan, how are your wines? Have you bottled everything from '05?
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:16 pm

Paul, good for you. You a great advocate for the Labrusca grapes and deserve all the credit in the world.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:45 pm

Ed Draves wrote:a great advocate for the Labrusca grapes and deserve all the credit in the world

Awww, shucks ... :oops:

I appreciate the sentiment, but it's the grapes that need the attention more than me! I like to think of myself as merely a simple, humble worker in the vineyard - borrowing from Pope Benedict's words ;)
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:12 pm

By the way, Dan, how are your wines? Have you bottled everything from '05?

Not yet. Everything has been racked at least twice. Some carboys aren't as clear as I would like, but overall nose and taste is promising. I go from carboys to one gallon jugs, and then to bottles as needed. Jugging usually gets done in early summer.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:31 pm

Thanks for getting their opinion, John.

I do believe that trying malo on Concord is a very smart idea. However, if you cold-stabilize, you already lose a lot of tartaric, and if you do malo, the malic acid gets softened down - at which point you may have to keep an eye on pH. I disagree with them vis-a-vis the wine "needing" some sweetness in the end - this enters the realm of desired style. If the acidity is toned down by (1) malolactic fermentation and (2) precipitation of tartrates, then it will be much mellower than without either of these procedures having taken place.

It's like asking two paysans who makes the "best" cheese in their village or region ... they'd be arguing about it all day! :)
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:50 pm

Kudos Paul.

In my book, amelioration was always a no-no. I don't even like it that the word is used for the process of adding water to wine--the definition of the word is "to make better!"

Anyway, there will be a malo-lactic seminar at the Geneva station on May 12. I'm going to be looking for a winemaker who does it to labrusca. I'm covering the seminar for Wines and Vines Magazine.

John, are you going to the seminar?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

Ameliorate

by Dan Smothergill » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:39 pm

In my book, amelioration was always a no-no. I don't even like it that the word is used for the process of adding water to wine--the definition of the word is "to make better!"

Quite right. It's interesting that the wine-making meaning of amelioriate and the more general meaning are so different. The connotation of goodness probably provides the bridge.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:05 pm

My congratulations too Paul. I bet your buttons are busting...mine would be. I guess those naysayes will sit up \and take notice now. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:06 pm

Way to go there Paul B. Keep em coming!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:04 pm

I've sent your webpages on dry Concord and dry Niagara to my father, Paul. Perhaps it will encourage him to try it!

At the moment I think my stepmom is the one who really likes the sweet versions he makes. (Which is most likely why he makes them, no fool he!
:wink: ) He is in the Southern Tier in Western NY.

Thanks for being a good example!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:06 pm

Very nice!! Well done, Paul. Sometimes the passion really does get you somewhere.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:19 pm

Paul B. wrote:At best, I just hope it gets more winemakers at least thinking about stepping outside the box with our native grapes and trying new styles.

Congratulations Paul,

Your passion has been rewarded by some well-deserved recognition. Glad to see the article. I hope to see you again at MoCool this summer and this time I will remember to bring the Wiederkehr's Cynthiana (norton) to the picnic for you to taste.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:09 pm

Tom N. wrote:I hope to see you again at MoCool this summer and this time I will remember to bring the Wiederkehr's Cynthiana (norton) to the picnic for you to taste.

Thanks, Tom! Seeing as I tried my first Norton and Cynthiana at MoCool, that would be continuing a tradition! :)

Of course, I really hope that the three-tier system becomes obsolete because then it would be much easier to have Missouri or Arkansas Norton shipped across the country and to enjoy it whenever visiting family or friends.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:22 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I've sent your webpages on dry Concord and dry Niagara to my father, Paul. Perhaps it will encourage him to try it!

Sure, Cynthia! But if he likes the sweet style, that's alright too, of course. I have admittedly been somewhat of a warrior for dry labrusca, but not to get people to stop making sweet or off-dry labrusca wine - it's been a battle against the view that labrusca wine must be sweet or else there's something inherently "wrong" with it; this is the view that I am opposed to.

Just a few points to add to this discussion for anyone reading who may wish to make the wine dry. Often it is said that labrusca should be sweet to counter "high acidity" from the grapes. I believe that there are two options that allow one to deal with acidity without compromising the purity and flavour concentration of the wine:

<li>cold stabilization - precipitation of tartrates</li><li>malolactic fermentation - conversion of sharp malic acid to lactic acid (also aids in stability)</li>
I'd love to see winemakers trying this combination while watching pH - instead of using residual sugar as a matter of dogmatic practice.
Next