Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Dinner for two!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Dinner for two!

by Linda R. (NC) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:38 pm

In a renewed effort to eat more healthy, we planned salmon for dinner. I usually grill it, and fix a simple dill sauce to go with. Tonight I wasn't in the mood for grilling, and wanted something different. I went on-line and googled maple salmon and found this simple but scrumptious marinade. I followed the recipe exactly (except for making a half batch). The fish was cooked perfectly, and was melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

I served this with steamed asparagus, and a 2004 Kenwood Sauvignon Blanc.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Maple-Salmon/Detail.aspx
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Dinner for two!

by Bob Ross » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:02 pm

Nice recipe, Linda. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:39 pm

Linda,

I often make my salmon with a very similar marinade...using soy and maple and it always comes out delicious! Glad you enjoyed it too...I like your wine choice too...will have to try that pairing next time I have it.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:05 pm

Good recipe, thanks for sharing. I'm suddenly reminded of a maple-whiskey baste I once used on a roast chicken but had forgotten--wow.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:50 pm

Jenise wrote:Good recipe, thanks for sharing. I'm suddenly reminded of a maple-whiskey baste I once used on a roast chicken but had forgotten--wow.

Ya know, I thought those ingredients were semi-familiar. Here is something from the past, a little over a year ago:

JENISE MARINADE

Recommended on pork chops

1/3 to ½ cup soy sauce
1/3 to ½ cup maple syrup (equal to the soy sauce)
several shakes of sesame oil
white wine
rosemary

Notes: Balance the sweet (syrup) with the salt (soy). A little sesame oil goes a long way in flavor.

Wine match: Pinot noir

The above recipe from you in chat one day when I was looking for something new to do to pork chops.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Kevin C

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:14 pm

Broussard, LA

by Kevin C » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:47 am

Heres a recipe I like with Broiled salmon fillets

1 container grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup EVOO
1 tblspn fresh tarragon leaves
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
salt and white pepper to taste
2 tblspn chopped basil leaves

Quick sautee all of the ingredients except basil. Place under broiler until tomatoes caramelize, about 5 - 7 minutes. Remove and let stand about 8 minutes. Add the fresh basil then serve over salmon fillets broiled with simple seaoning of salt and pepper and tarragon sprigs.

I'm not even that big a tomato fan but this really brings out the sweetness and teh lemon acidity balances it well. Adapted from something I saw emeril do food tv
no avatar
User

Trudy Schaefer

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:56 am

Denver, Colorado

by Trudy Schaefer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:27 am

Oh! Bless you all for giving me some kind of idea that will help me use up an overabundance of genuine Canadian maple syrup that was thoughtfully gifted to us.

We tried this with the salmon tonight. And oh my, was it ever delicious. And so simple. Now I can't wait to try something similar with some pork chops.

If anyone has any other maple syrup suggestions, please keep them coming.

Here's the thing... upon returning from a visit to her parents in Canada, my beloved neighbor bestowed upon us a large bottle of maple syrup. We tried to like it. We honestly did. But, um, we didn't really care for it in a pure syrup-on-waffles-or-pancakes kind of way. But when someone gives me a gift, I tend to get all overly gracious about it and apparently exhibited a bit too much enthusiasm. Because on her next return, she brought us another. And then to make it downright hilarious to my husband and I, when her parents visited a couple of months ago, yes, they brought us yet another bottle. :?
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

Re: Dinner for two! Update

by Linda R. (NC) » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:29 pm

When I find a good thing, I see how many ways I can use it. Tonight I am making a pork tenderloin and using the same marinade as I used for the salmon. I'll be grilling this, and will post the results.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:16 pm

Trudy Schaefer wrote:Oh! Bless you all for giving me some kind of idea that will help me use up an overabundance of genuine Canadian maple syrup that was thoughtfully gifted to us.

Trudy, I hereby volunteer to drive up and take it all off your hands. Especially if it's grade B. :D

My family in NYS used to be in the maple business but aren't tapping any trees this year. There goes my free never-ending supply.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

Re: Dinner for two! Update

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:55 pm

The marinade worked quite well for the pork. The only problem is that I preheated the grill longer than usual while waiting for hubby to get home, therefore I ended up with well done (but not dried out) pork instead of the medium I prefer.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:01 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:In a renewed effort to eat more healthy, we planned salmon for dinner. I usually grill it, and fix a simple dill sauce to go with. Tonight I wasn't in the mood for grilling, and wanted something different. I went on-line and googled maple salmon and found this simple but scrumptious marinade. I followed the recipe exactly (except for making a half batch). The fish was cooked perfectly, and was melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

I served this with steamed asparagus, and a 2004 Kenwood Sauvignon Blanc.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Maple-Salmon/Detail.aspx

I've done something similar with a soy sauce and honey glaze (but no garlic). Not sure what Kenwood SB is like, but I couldn't imagine it with a Marlborough sauvingon blanc. My preference is for Pinot Gris.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:06 pm

Anyone ever tried this on a steak? The wife isn't particularly a fish lover. Seems to me the flavors would work but you never know.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:36 pm

There has been a lot of different ingredients tossed around on this thread, but if you are refering to the marinade I used on the salmon and pork, I'm not sure how I'd like the maple with steak. I think a rub with brown sugar may do better, but I defer to those with more experience. Here is one that I've used in the past.

4 beef steaks
1 cup beer
1 Tbls. packed brown sugar
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. monosodium glutamate OR unflavored meat tenderizer

Place your favorite cut of steak in a shallow pan, pour beer over, and marinate for 1 hour in refrigerator. Remove steak from beer. Combine dry ingredients and rub over steaks. Marinate for 1/2 hour in refrigerator. Preheat a skillet or grill to medium high heat. Grill to desired doneness.

I usually skip the beer part, and just use the rub.