The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: loads of 2004 MSR Germans

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JeanF

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:04 pm

WTN: loads of 2004 MSR Germans

by JeanF » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:38 pm

Here a couple of recent attacks to my stock of 2004 MSR wines. These wines are now at the pineacle of their primary fruit phase:

J.J. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese - 12 - 2004: Absolutely amazing stuff: the weight is that of a kabinett of many other estates, yet the precision and intensity on the palate is simply too much.

Daniel Vollenweider Wolfer Goldgrube Spätlese - 4 - 2004: (NB there are two regular Spätlese, one fermented with SiHa7 - #5 - and this one which is fermented with ambient yeasts) A pure joy and a great young puppy. Impeccably balanced and intense, but in a totally different way than JJ's wines: this has the weight of a GK Auslese at Prüm :-)

Theo Haart Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Kabinett 1stes Gewächs 2004: this one is only sold through the trade (no possibility to buy any at the Estate). Spätlese in weight and yet Kabinett in style. This is full of exotic fruit and yet so refreshing. Nice stuff.

Dr. Thanisch - Erben Thanisch Berncasteler Doctor Kabinett 2004: intense nose of minerals and ripe multi-layered peaches, great depth, superbly balanced on the palate, this is really nice powerful stuff. It is probably too powerful for the tender Ruhrberg buds, but it is sure fun to drink.

Willi Schafer Graacher Domprobst Spätlese - 10 - 2004: This is so well balanced, but has sort of shut down. Shit, I will have to wait now ...

Schloss Lieser Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Auslese Goldkapsel - 13- 2004: (The - 13 - was a small cask of 300 l of 100% botrytis fruit). Smoky, smoky, smoky. Totally primary and unevolved, as if it was a cask sample. This looks very, very promising. At the moment, the sheer size of the wine hides away any potential finesse.
www.moselfinewines.com
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: TN: loads of 2004 MSR Germans

by David Lole » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:21 pm

J Fish,

Thanks for your notes.

I recently tried an amazingly concentrated and moorish Dr. Thanisch 1994 Berncasteler Doctor Trockenbeerenauslese that, to my limited exposure to such wines, seemed ready to go. Is this the typical "house style" for this estate? TIA.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

JeanF

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:04 pm

Re: TN: loads of 2004 MSR Germans

by JeanF » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:52 pm

David Lole wrote:J Fish,

Thanks for your notes.

I recently tried an amazingly concentrated and moorish Dr. Thanisch 1994 Berncasteler Doctor Trockenbeerenauslese that, to my limited exposure to such wines, seemed ready to go. Is this the typical "house style" for this estate? TIA.

There are two Thanisch Esttaes, I suppose, you talk about Thanisch - Erben Thanisch (in contrast to Erben Müller-Burggraef). I was not aware of a 1994 TBA done by the house, but I would be very surprised that it is "ready to go". I had the regular Auslese several times and it is very primary still.
www.moselfinewines.com