The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Why Barnyard?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Why Barnyard?

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:07 am

Thomas wrote:See my post above yours. I suppose some editors are afraid of the real thing...

Simultaneously posted at 8:01, it appears!

Thomas, I rarely take up for editors, but I think the good ones are pretty good at intuiting what community standards will bear, and this guy is probably not being a bluenose so much as saving himself having to deal with dozens of angry phone calls from local prudes. Having taken a few of those calls, I can't say I blame him. Some battles are <i>worth</i> fighting ...
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Thomas wrote:See my post above yours. I suppose some editors are afraid of the real thing...

Simultaneously posted at 8:01, it appears!

Thomas, I rarely take up for editors, but I think the good ones are pretty good at intuiting what community standards will bear, and this guy is probably not being a bluenose so much as saving himself having to deal with dozens of angry phone calls from local prudes. Having taken a few of those calls, I can't say I blame him. Some battles are <i>worth</i> fighting ...

Yeah, that's why I decided to clean it up with the use of "barnyard." But of course, as you and Steve point out, the word includes many odors--hell, my barnyard often smells like petroleum since the forty year-old tractor leaks a little erl...yet I'd never call Riesling barnyard... ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Robin,

Thank you so much for posting that article...that is exactly what I was looking for.

Interesting about the different uses of barnyard. I have only really smelled cow/horse manure and am not familiar with chicken manure. But I have yet come across manure odors in wine (I haven't drank much burgundy though). I have tasted wet dog a few times...usually in lower end wines and haven't liked it much. I didn't realize that wet fur could be considered barnyard.

Edited to add: WOW Robin...you have an article on EVERYTHING! I am impressed!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
Previous