The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Domaine Auguste Clape Cornas

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 2001 Domaine Auguste Clape Cornas

by Saina » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:55 pm

I've been jogging quite a bit recently, trying to get back into shape. Yesterday I did a half-marathon. To celebrate surviving through that, tonight I opened a nice bottle. A nice dinner of beef and roots and black olives stewed with mediterranean herbs and served with potatoes from the oven. Drunk over the course of the evening (5 hours, we're slow....), it was open from the start but changed much over the time.

• 2001 Domaine Auguste Clape Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (4/25/2006)
    Dark red. A typical Cornas scent of black pepper, bacon fat, red berries and rock. The palate is big, tough and tannic, with fine acidity also. Very nice at first, but I started getting some pruny and raisiny scents the longer it was open.... Has Clape also gone over to the dark side? Or am I just becoming too sensitive to spoofulation?

Posted from CellarTracker

I did like this, but I would have hoped (sensitive eyes: look away) for a steaming chunk of turd in my glass: ubi rusticity?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: 2001 Domaine Auguste Clape Cornas

by James Roscoe » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:02 pm

Otto,
Congratulations on the marathon and the wine. The meal sounds great too. I guess we need to get used to a little bit of modernization. (I just can't bring myself to use that word.) It sounds like a wine my wife would have loved and I would have liked, but like you would have found something missing. I might describe it differently however. Keep up the good work.
Cheers!
James
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:04 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Otto,
Congratulations on the marathon and the wine. The meal sounds great too. I guess we need to get used to a little bit of modernization. (I just can't bring myself to use that word.) It sounds like a wine my wife would have loved and I would have liked, but like you would have found something missing. I might describe it differently however. Keep up the good work.
Cheers!
James

Divide it by half please: I wouldn't have survived a whole. Thanks, though I say it myself it was great. No, we should not get used to modernisation. It sucks, and this wine was just a little too close to that, though staying firmly on the rocky side.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:27 pm

I guess I'm just too much of a capitalist. I'll drink the wine and try not to sweat the details.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:41 pm

So on the one hand you regret having very few mature bottles, and then you go kill a baby. Picture your mother's voice: "OTTO!!"
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Claude Kolm

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:25 pm

San Francisco

by Claude Kolm » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:02 pm

No one is lower-tech than Clape. I think the wine must just be shut down right now (which is what I expected when I read the title (4-1/2 year Cornas is not the right time to drink).
Best regards,
Claude Kolm
http://www.finewinereview.com