Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP Duck Confit with Brussels Sprouts and Mustard Sauce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP Duck Confit with Brussels Sprouts and Mustard Sauce

by Jenise » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:08 pm

A rule of cooking in Jenise's kitchen: wet meats go with dry veggies, and dry meats go with wet veggies. So to serve something like a simple leg of duck confit, though spectactular in and of itself, I lean toward an accompaniament (I rarely serve more than two items on a main dish plate, except for garnish) that's got an ooze factor. But I never nailed down that ultimate combination until I found and tried Thomas Keller's recipe for duck confit where the crispened leg quarter (he pan fries and then roasts, where I simply bake) is served on a bed of brussels sprouts napped in a tangy mustard sauce. That, with a starter of bibb lettuce and herbs in vinaigrette and a bottle of pinot noir is a perfect Lyonnaise bistro dinner.

From Keller's book Bouchon but with my modifications for simplicity and making this a recipe for two:

2 pieces duck confit

12 brussels sprouts
1 tblsp minced shallots
1 tsp minced thyme
6 cloves garlic, finely minced
3/4 c chicken stock
2 tbslp Dijon mustard
2 tblsp creme fraiche
1 tblsp minced chives

Remove as much of the fat from the legs as you can without damaging them.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare an ice bath. Line a baking sheet with a clean towel. Remove and discard the tougher outer leaves from the Brussels sprouts. Trim the bottom of the root ends and cut a small slit in the center of each root end. Place in the ice bath for five minutes to chill. Cook half the brussels sprouts at a time in the boiling water for about five minutes, then remove to the ice bath. Once chilled, drain. The sprouts will hold several hours at room temp or be refrigerated up to a day at this point.

Preheat the oven to 375.

Cut the sprouts in half lengthwise, set aside.

Heat a nonstick skillet thoroughly, then carefully add the duck pieces skin side down--stand back, the moisture in the fat in the skin will pop. Saute the legs for 5-6 minutes on med heat or unitl the skin is a rich golden brown. Remove the skillet from the heat, drain the fat to a baking dish large enough for the legs in a single layer, place the legs in skin side up, then transfer to the oven to roast for about eight minutes. (Alternatively, do not pan-fry, but roast the duck legs on a rack in a hot 450 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes until crispy--it's not only easier, but I prefer it for it's all-over crispiness)

Meanwhile, discard all but about 2 tsp of the fat remaining in the skillet. Rturn the skillet to medium-high heat and add the shallots, thyme and garlic. Sweat them for about a minute, then add the stock and simmer for about two minutes. Whick in the mustard and creme fraiche. Add the brussels sprouts and simmer until the sprouts are warmed through and the sauce is reduced enough to coat the sprouts. Remove from the heat and stir in the chives.

Divide the sprouts between two plates and top each with a duck leg.
Last edited by Jenise on Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Kim Adams

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:50 pm

Re: RC: Duck Confit with Brussels Sprouts and Mustard Sauce

by Kim Adams » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:36 pm

I love duck confit and bought some legs a few days ago to do just that but changed my mind and opted last night to just braise them and served simply with some fresh peas and creamy white grits using Hoppin' Johns stone ground white grits. It's my first experience with grits vs polenta. I must do more "research."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:40 pm

Kim Adams wrote:I love duck confit and bought some legs a few days ago to do just that but changed my mind and opted last night to just braise them and served simply with some fresh peas and creamy white grits using Hoppin' Johns stone ground white grits. It's my first experience with grits vs polenta. I must do more "research."

Grits are pretty good, no? I tend to prefer them to the yellow polenta, but I'm not sure why--I love both, but I perceive a graininess to grits that I like better. But then a southern cook would tell you that I undercook them. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Kim Adams

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:50 pm

by Kim Adams » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:32 pm

Jenise wrote:
Grits are pretty good, no? I tend to prefer them to the yellow polenta, but I'm not sure why--I love both, but I perceive a graininess to grits that I like better. But then a southern cook would tell you that I undercook them. :)

The jury is still out on the grits. I also fried up the leftovers until it was nicely brown and slightly crispy. Liked it!
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:36 pm

I'm with Kim. Love duck. Had Duck confit at The Red Cat last week; order duck more than any other anchor, and love brussels sprouts and mustard sauces, too. Printed off the recipe for Lynn. Thanks!
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:59 pm

Jenise wrote:
Kim Adams wrote:I love duck confit and bought some legs a few days ago to do just that but changed my mind and opted last night to just braise them and served simply with some fresh peas and creamy white grits using Hoppin' Johns stone ground white grits. It's my first experience with grits vs polenta. I must do more "research."

The grits are good, but upon reflection, I like polenta better. Of course, I'll be most interested to taste Kim's "research;" I always reserve the right to change my mind!

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :twisted:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:09 pm

Covert wrote:I'm with Kim. Love duck. Had Duck confit at The Red Cat last week; order duck more than any other anchor, and love brussels sprouts and mustard sauces, too. Printed off the recipe for Lynn. Thanks!

Hey Covert, let us know when you're in our neighborhood again. We really should get together for some good food and wine.

Best,

geo

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: 8)
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:42 am

Sounds good, Geo. What is your phone number? I'm there about every two months. Dined at...is it Merril's? last time. Can't remember: the fine steakhouse in Birmingham associated with and next to the famous fish restaurant, the name of which escapes me, too. The beef, which I rarely order, was very good there, and they have a pretty good wine list.

Covert