Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Polenta night

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Polenta night

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:40 am

We had our friends, Teresa and Joe, over for supper tonight. Having them over is always a bit challenging. Teresa is a fairly strict vegetarian - she's fine with dairy and eggs, but no meat. Joe is the kind of guy who just loves good food in any form. Then there's my wife, the good mid-western girl, who has a hard time accepting meals that don't involve pork or beef in some form.

For tonight's meal, we resolved these issues by doing polenta with a variety of toppings. I made the polenta early this afternoon poured it into a baking dish to firm up and cool. Then the following items were cooked up:

- Crimini mushrooms sauteed with onion, thyme, and a little dry marsala
- Rainbow chard braised with onion and garlic, with canned scarlet runner beans added
- Italian sausage cooked with onions
- Gorgonzola cream sauce with a little garlic and rosemary

Just before serving, I cut the polenta into squares, coated it with semolina (as per a Deborah Madison recipe) and fried it in olive oil. Everyone picked whatever they wanted out of the toppings and dumped it on their polenta. Teresa and Joe brought a salad and my wife made a really odd and very tasty pudding cake for dessert.

Overall, the meal was quite a success and made for an easy way to resolve the different dietary issues.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Kim Adams

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:50 pm

A polenta bar!

by Kim Adams » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:20 am

That sounds like a great way to go.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Polenta night

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:38 am

Mike Filigenzi (Sacto) wrote:We had our friends, Teresa and Joe, over for supper tonight.Overall, the meal was quite a success and made for an easy way to resolve the different dietary issues.

Brilliant, Mike, and a great concept for a really interesting article ... it's surprising how little is written about coming up with a great meal for a dinner where some visitors are vegetarian and others aren't. (I've solved this on occasion by making two lasagnas, one with meat and one without, but I love this Italian smorgasbord idea. It occurs to me that pasta with a variety of sauces would work, too, but serving the pasta just right would be more of a timing challenge and make for a less relaxed meal.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:51 pm

You bastard, you coulda waited til I got back to town! :wink:

We've done the same thing before with pizza, a build-your-own event. We premade a bunch of dough, rolled it out, set out bowls of toppings, and let everyone diy.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

But ...

by Bill Spencer » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:01 pm

%^)

... how did you resolve the "wine dilemma" ... did you open both a red and a white ? Or just one or the other ? And if just one, which one and was it the RIGHT one ?

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:15 pm

What an innovative solution to a fairly common entertaining problem. Tell me more about the polenta prep, though. I've pan-fried polenta many a time (I grew up on a southern Grandma's "fried mush" breakfasts), but never dipped them in anything. Dipping them in something else never occurred to me--I guess this guarantees a crispy outer coating?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

Re: But ...

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:25 pm

Bill Spencer wrote:%^)

... how did you resolve the "wine dilemma" ... did you open both a red and a white ? Or just one or the other ? And if just one, which one and was it the RIGHT one ?

Clink !

%^)

Well, the wine dilemma was solved by Joe, who brought a bottle of a Bodeaux over that he'd been wanting to try out. I can't remember the name on it, but it was a 2003 and it showed the vintage. I wasn't particularly taken with it in terms of pairing with any of the polenta toppings.

Mike

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:27 pm

Jenise wrote:What an innovative solution to a fairly common entertaining problem. Tell me more about the polenta prep, though. I've pan-fried polenta many a time (I grew up on a southern Grandma's "fried mush" breakfasts), but never dipped them in anything. Dipping them in something else never occurred to me--I guess this guarantees a crispy outer coating?

This was my first shot at frying polenta, so I don't have a lot to compare it with. I think the semolina did add a nice golden color and a little extra crunch to the outsides, though. The only downside was that the bits of semolina left in the skillet started to burn a bit after a while, so halfway through I had to dump the oil and wipe the skillet out before putting in more oil and continuing. The results were good, though.

Mike

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:35 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:You bastard, you coulda waited til I got back to town! :wink:

We've done the same thing before with pizza, a build-your-own event. We premade a bunch of dough, rolled it out, set out bowls of toppings, and let everyone diy.

What, so you could Frank us again? :D

(I was instructed to post that, BTW. I bet you can guess who came up with that idea....)

So you back for any length of time?

Mike

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:06 pm

Polenta fries up well on it's own, so I never would have thought to coat it. However, when I make it for frying, I make it leaner in liquid content and use some 1/3 milk in the liquid to ensure a crusty, golden color. Oh, and frying in teflon's a must. If one were using leftover polenta that was prepared for porridge style service, then I can see where the semolina coating would be a huge help.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:31 pm

Interesting. Why the teflon? I fried mine in a pan with a stainless interior and it worked out pretty well. Maybe the semolina helped with that pan?

Mike

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:25 pm

I'm sure it did, Mike. Without the semolina, it would have been Stick City. Which probably explains the semolina as much as anything, if the recipe didn't suggest/require non-stick.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:03 am

Mike, I'm still in Europe. I'll be back for a few days, then back here again. By the end of May, I'll be in CA for more than a 5 day stretch.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:40 am

Robin Garr wrote:it's surprising how little is written about coming up with a great meal for a dinner where some visitors are vegetarian

Inviting a vegetarian to dinner is like inviting a teetotaller to a wine tasting......
Last edited by Bill Spohn on Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:49 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Inviting a vegetarian to dinner is like inviting a teetotaller to a wine tasting......

Somone needs to beet some sense into you.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:04 am

Jenise wrote:Somone needs to beet some sense into you.

Not willing to meat me half way, huh? :roll:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:14 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Not willing to meat me half way, huh? :roll:

I've bean tempted in the past, but not today.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:50 am

Jenise wrote:I've bean tempted in the past, but not today.

Any time you want to dance the lamb-bada, baby.....Image
ImageImage
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:24 pm

Lamb-bada? Ooh! Lettuce start now.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:26 pm

Jenise wrote:Lamb-bada? Ooh! Lettuce start now.

Anything ewe want.....Image
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:50 pm

I fry only when I want to "enhance" the flavor - usually with lots of chopped garlic and hot pepper flakes mashed into the polenta. Otherwise broiling the serving sized pieces in an oil sprayed non-stick baking sheet accomplishes the same purpose - to get it hot, with some nice crust and reduces time to serve and uses less oil. Many toppings can be added and put under the broiler as well.
A terrific party for those who don't know polenta.
Mamma Mia !