Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP /FoodLetter: Pimento cheese grits

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP /FoodLetter: Pimento cheese grits

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:12 am

Pimento cheese grits

A chance encounter with a side dish at a local fish fry last week inspired the combination of two Southern favorites into an unexpected treat.

The venue was St. Augustine, an inner-city Louisville church that's known throughout the region for its lavish Friday fried-fish lunches during Lent. The side dish was something called "Lenten Cheese Grits," an odd adjective to use for a dish that doesn't normally contain meat even when consumed on other religious and cultural holidays - like Kentucky Derby Day.

(Grits, as an aside for readers outside the Southern U.S., are simply ground hominy - white corn kernels with the hull and germ removed by treatment with lye - cooked as a thick porridge. Polenta is distantly related and may be substituted if you can't get or don't like grits, although you lose the characteristic hominy flavor.)

Cheese grits, a brunch fixture and Derby Week tradition in Louisville, add a simple but profound dimension to grits by the simple expedient of stirring in cheddar cheese and discreet seasoning. It's a tasty, filling treat, but there's no news here.

The cheese grits at St. Augustine, though, were <i>different</i> ... and the difference was magic. They were silken, deeply flavorful and had an elusive spicy character that was hard to pin down, until I carefully analyzed a bit and spotted small flecks of deep red flecks in the cheesy yellow grits. These grits, it seemed, were laced not with mere cheddar but with a ration of another Southern tradition, pimento cheese.

Could it be as simple as that? Careful tasting supported the hypothesis, and further experimentation at home left little doubt: Make cheese grits with pimento cheese, and enjoy the best cheese grits you ever ate. This dish is so good that it can move from the brunch table to the dinner table, as a hearty side dish or even the main course in a vegetarian feast.

I discussed pimento cheese and offered a recipe in the March 31, 2005 <I>FoodLetter</i>, and refer you to that column if you need detailed instructions. It's really as simple as this: Grate cheddar, chop pimientos (or roasted mild red peppers), and mash them together with a fork into a rough blend with salt, pepper and a bit of cayenne to taste, using just enough mayonnaise to hold it all together.

Once you've got your pimento cheese made, you hardly need a formal recipe for the rest: Cook your grits, either instant or standard, following package directions. Or make polenta if you prefer. Stir grated cheese into the hot mass until the cheese melts, and season to taste with salt, pepper and just about any other spice your heart and tummy desire, from hot sauce to dry mustard or even such exotica as curry powder.

I recommend keeping today's dish simple and straightforward, though, especially on your first effort. This is one of those cases in which it's a gift to be simple, and you don't really need a symphony of competing flavors to make it great.

<center>Subscribe to The 30 Second Wine Advisor's weekly FoodLetter</center>
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: RCP /FoodLetter: Pimento cheese grits

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:17 am

I'm just not crazy about pimento cheese, but I bet this would be killer made with an extra sharp habanero cheddar! Have to pick up some grits this weekend.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:18 am

That would definitely work, Cynthia! Normally, as an adult turophile, I might find something like pimento cheese terminally bland, but it's one of those childhood comfort-food things that has an irrational place in the heart. Plus, a little bit of cayenne - and quality cheddar - does turn it into something more grown-up. :)
no avatar
User

Jeff Caldwell

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:41 am

New Jersey

by Jeff Caldwell » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:23 pm

Regarding pimento cheese...oddly enough it is something in my family that holds a place of reverence. My grandfather devised a recipe that my dad made every holiday season when we were growing up. After I moved out of the house and became an adult (I use that term loosely) I began making it for my wife and her family. Its a holiday tradition and its unlike any other pimento cheese I have ever had. I love it so much I make it in the summer as well and take it to barbecues and picnics. Always a huge hit. If anyone is interested to know the recipe I would be happy to post it. Never tried it with grits but its incredible on fresh burgers right off the grill.

PS - If you dont like sweet pickles then you wont like this pimento cheese!

Cheers all.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:27 pm

Jeff Caldwell wrote:If anyone is interested to know the recipe I would be happy to post it.

Well, we're always interested in seeing the recipes! We may not make it, but we'd certainly discuss it! :lol: