The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Home alone

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Home alone

by Florida Jim » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:38 am

Saturday night; twelve hours and 750 miles from NC to FL; I wanted a nice bottle with my pizza:
Earl Alain Michaud, Brouilly Prestige de Vieilles Vigne:
Perfectly balanced, quiet but deep, black fruit mostly and a sappy, focused delivery. A very nice wine still showing quite young.

Sunday afternoon party at John’s with pork roast and braised root veggies (thankfully, the a/c was on):
2005 Terres Dorees, Beaujolais Nouveau:
Juicy, fresh, spicy, clean, delicious, charming wine that should be drunk from a tumbler and slightly chilled. As good as this designation will ever see.

Monday evening after a day of cleaning house, inside and out, I grilled pork chops and had a Caesar salad:
2001 Niepoort, Douro Vertente:
The main constituents seem to be Tinta Amarela, Tinta Roriz and Touriga Franca, if I extrapolated correctly from the website.
Fresh and stewed plums, cocoa and some cooked rhubarb aromas with a slight hint of port wine; mid-weight and pretty bright in the mouth (almost tart) with flavors that follow the nose, fine tannins and mouthwatering acidity; long, grippy finish. Showing young and rambunctious but well balanced and certainly good with the chops.
(While I enjoyed this wine, I can’t help thinking the price ($22) is generated more by the brand name than the juice. Other recent Portuguese table wines, especially Alvaro Castro’s, Dao ($10), have impressed as much or more. And while I have no qualm with anyone charging what they can get, I think the consumer can get more for less. Still, it beats the majority of $50 domestic wines in concentration, complexity and interest; so, bring it on!)

Tuesday evening with salad and crusty bread:
2004 Droin, Chablis:
The nose is solid Chablis but the palate has a burnt/ash/stone component that simply doesn’t let the fruit shine through. I’m just guessing here, but this tastes like a barrel experiment (as this producer has been known to do) that didn’t work.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Home alone

by Jenise » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:24 pm

As always, nice notes. Interesting comments on the Portugese wines--I really haven't gotten into those wines, and most of the friends pour for me don't move me to explore. A Quinto de Crasto last week caught my attention, though.

So do we have a grandchild?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: Home alone

by Florida Jim » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:55 am

Jenise wrote:So do we have a grandchild?

Due date is May 18. Watchful waiting, for me.

I think you're going to see a lot more Port wine grape varieties being made into table wine. Eric Solomon has a couple producers in his book and I imagine Jorge Ordonez must have also.
A recent bottle of the 2001 Poiera (Solomon) was outstanding and promised interesting development with cellaring.
So many good wines . . .
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars