Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Orange Drop Cookies

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

RCP: Orange Drop Cookies

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:20 am

A couple of weeks ago a co-worker, who knows how much my wife loves to bake, brought a cookbook in to loan me. It's actually a collection of recipes that her Swedish aunt had put together years ago. It consists of dittoed pages (remember the smell of freshly dittoed paper?) and handmade covers held together with those two-pronged brads. I would never trust anyone with such a family heirloom, but I was honored that she would lend it to me. The recipes are old, and a number of them call for hartshorn. This is an old leavening agent used before baking powder was commonly available. Chemically speaking, it's ammonium carbonate, and it supposedly fills your kitchen with the odor of ammonia when you bake with it. Yum. It can only be used with light batters as you don't want any of that lovely ammonia flavor trapped in your finished goods!

This recipe is a quick and easy one from that book. It requires no hartshorn and makes very tasty cookies. They're especially good within a few hours of baking when they'll have a thin, slightly crisp exterior and a soft inside.

Orange Drop Cookies (from Aunt Annie)

4 T. butter
1 C. sugar
2 eggs
2 T grated orange rind
4 T orange juice
2 C sifted flour
4 T baking powder
1/2 t salt

Cream butter and sugar together in mixing bowl. Add eggs one at a time and mix well. Add orange rind and orange juice and mix well. Combine dry ingredients and work them into the butter mixture until combined. drop tablespoon-sized balls of the dough onto a lightly greased cookie sheet (we got great results with a Silpat liner) and bake at 375° for about ten minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned.

Mike
Last edited by Mike Filigenzi on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: RC: Orange Drop Cookies

by Bob Ross » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:49 pm

Thanks for the recipe, Mike. My rent-a-kid and I made a batch yesterday -- he liked them so much, he did a second batch on his own to take home.

His mom called this morning -- they were excellent at breakfast, she said.

Jose and I both thank you. :-)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:53 pm

Glad you enjoyed them, Bob!! My kids really liked them, too.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:56 pm

You Californians can drink your orange juice, Mike -- we have to eat it. :-) [I had one for breakfast too.]

Regards, Bob